Peaches is gone

LittleMoon

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 4, 2011
I woke up this morning and went out to see my chickens, she runs around in the yard. I called for her name and she didnt come. I went into the field next to our house and found a pile of her feathers. I can't stop crying, i loved her so very much. I should have clipped her wings, but she just loved running outside the coop. I feel so bad about it, its all my fault that she is dead. I keep telling myself that maybe she struggled and is hiding somewhere alive, but at the same time I just dont know. I feel like this is some sort of unreal nightmare.
Is there some way she got away? I tried following a trail to see if i could find her, but i only see a small pile of long and short feathers.

This story doesn't sound good for Peaches. I am so sorry.
hugs.gif

If it was one of my hens, I'd keep looking. A smart chicken that's been badly frightened by a predator will hide...and it was only a small pile of feathers, so maybe she ejected those feathers and ran. So sorry for your sorrow. I've cried many times for my beloved pets too.

I am sorry about Peaches. She could be hiding if it were only a small amount of feathers, but most likely she is gone. Never blame yourself for loving them and letting them be chickens and individuals. They each have their own personalities, likes and dislikes. Just know that she had a good life with you and she enjoyed it.

Thanks guys.

I woke up this morning and i had hope that maybe she was ok and that she'll come back, but I don't know. I'm pretty sure the neighbors dog did it, it likes running the field where i found the feathers and i found a paw print in front of my house.
I can't help feeling hopeful, but there are so many deep weeds and expanse of field that there are so many places she could hide. I prayed to god and said if she is alive to bring him home and if she isnt, then to keep her in heaven. That thought helps alot, but it really is hard to let them go. I loved her so much.

A few months ago, I was outside watering the garden with one of my favorite hens scratching around at my feet. Suddenly, a dog who lives three blocks away came running around the corner. My hen took cover behind a cage while my daughter and I tried to grab the runaway dog. It was too fast for us, and Chicklet decided to leave her hiding place and run for the house. I screamed at her to run fast and she did, but the dog grabbed her, picked up speed, and ran for the road with me, my daughter, and a neighbor screaming at the top of our lungs. Ultimately, I got in my car and drove around the neighborhood...I found the dog about ten minutes later, a couple streets over, with my hen pinned under his foot. I attacked the dog with all my strength, then I called 911 and had the police and animal control come. My hen lived, and after some citations were issued the dog was re-homed.

After I calmed down (it took a long time) and thought about it, I realized that if she'd gotten loose before I arrived she never would have been able to find her way home. This is why I think you should not give up hope. Definitely let the neighborhood know to keep their eyes open for her.

Best of luck to you. My Chicklet is just like Peaches, in that she loves to free-range around the yard, and comes running to say hello...but I rarely let her out anymore.

Your neighbors should not be letting their dog run loose. That makes me mad!! Their negligence should not be your sorrow.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom