Peachick in real foot trouble

safendiscret

Hatching
Aug 27, 2015
Recently my peafowl chick had to be aided in hatching through his egg shell. I thought it was strange that the humidity was at 65 - 67%. Incubator was between 98.8 - 100. Still within the temperature range. I candled the egg every day after the 25th day and I didn't see any issues. Until I aided the birth in full hatching out of the shell, I noticed that the left foot had a dark redish/black foot color. In less that one day passed and I noticed the left foot turned an off color yellow that in two days turned black and was foot rot. The foot tissue was literally eating the flesh of the toes, then the foot pad. I called a Vet but, he thinks it was poor circulation while in the egg and that it was generic. I ignored the generic aspects since the Vet wasn't an avian doctor. My problem is how do I treat and stop the rot of the foot? The Vet did mention that the peachick will most likely die, as the leg will also die off like gangrene. Any thoughts? I have been doing the following treatments: Hand feed Peachick by Syringe, feed every two to three hours - depending on the food quantity in the chicks "crop".

Giving Bacterium a broad spectrum anti-biotic. Turned a pill into a powder form and placed in the food.
Cleaned foot with hydrogen peroxide, placed both feet into a Epsom salt bath, three times a day with 15 minutes soak.
Used Hydrating Healing Ointment to increase blood circulation for the entire foot and legs - twice a day.
Then I used Triple Antibiotic Ointment, once a day
Betadine - Antiseptic solution, kills germ on contact, at least twice a day.
Also Vetericyn VF, a wound and skin care for cuts, Abrasions, lacerations, Post=Surgical incision

The Peachick is definitely feeling better and is actually able to put some weight on the left foot. However, the yellow turn black, although slowed down, however hasn't stopped completely. If the rot doesn't stop before attacking the leg, I'll have to put him down.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?? Anything at all? Before the rot goes too far, the peachick can't be saved??????????????

The chick most likely will lose the foot. However, I have had a peahen that lost her foot to a dog attack several years ago. She does just fine on one leg. Maybe not as fast as the rest of the flock, but she seems totally healthy and has raised her own brood of chicks. I'd give the little one a chance at life.

I also have had this happen a number of time over the years on both male and female birds ... I would suggest you cut off what is bad or back to clean flesh.and medicate It with antibiotics ad keep it wrapped. until lit heals .. I have hade males mature and bred with one leg and of course females can breed and lay with one leg so all is not lost,. Just keep an eye on it and don't let other birds beat it down. Or if you don't want to fool with it zip its head off...connerhills

Thanks connerhills,

I don't see the future of "zip its head off" in it's future. Not that I wouldn't if I felt the little guy was in any dire pain. However, as indicated in the original thread starter. I have spent time trying numerous things such as research on the internet as far as potential
Giving Bacterium a broad spectrum anti-biotic. Turned a pill into a powder form and placed in the food.
Cleaned foot with hydrogen peroxide, placed both feet into a Epsom salt bath, three times a day with 15 minutes soak.
Used Hydrating Healing Ointment to increase blood circulation for the entire foot and legs - twice a day.
Then I used Triple Antibiotic Ointment, once a day
Betadine - Antiseptic solution, kills germ on contact, at least twice a day.
Also Vetericyn VF, a wound and skin care for cuts, Abrasions, lacerations, Post=Surgical incision

I do appreciate your input.

The rot seems to be slowing down. He is eating better, even with me, shall I say babying him. I recently as early as yesterday had hatched another peachick. I waited until today to put the two together. They get along fine and I want to believe that not being alone is a Big Plus.
Thanks

Thanks jhm47, I'm curious as to was your peahen less than a week old? Do you think there is a difference between a day old and now a week old chick vs. an adult peafowl?
If the little guy has hung on this long for a new hatchling. Then I owe it to him to continue to at least provide various medication. I actually stopped today feeding him with a syringe dropper.
I guess only time can tell. Thanks for your comment and interest.

Don't use peroxide any more as it can kill living tissue but everything else sounds great.

If you want a natural antibiotic, get some oregano oil but always mix it with a carrier like olive oil as it's extremely caustic just by itself. Good luck with the little fella.

Thanks thndrdancr,
The label said it was good for flushing wounds. Good to know, I think I'll stay with the Epsom salt wash And Betadine !

Hello everyone!
Thank you for all your suggestions and sharing with me your wisdom. I wanted to let every one know that the Peachick "Little Jackie"
is doing extremely well thanks to your inputs. Little Jackie had lost three toes right up to the foot pad. He is walking around the brooder with ease. Absolutely no signs of pain or discomfort, also there is no effect on his walking around. I stopped hand feeding him by syringe and he is also eating like there isn't any tomorrow. Little Jackie has a roommate, only three days younger than he is. They get along great and are great companions. They are still in the brooder for warmth and easy access to keep an eye on them. A BIG robust difference from the first day I had noticed the deterioration of Little Jackie's foot. I'm happy to say this is one little guy that will have a long life. I currently own eleven Pure White Peafowl chicks, about five weeks old. I have five Blue Indian Peafowl Chicks at nine weeks and getting big, along with five Black shoulder Peafowl, and finally I have two adult Peahens and one senior seven year old Peacock.
Again thank you.

Back
Top Bottom