Peachick problem! Please help !!!

Sorry you lost your chick. As I tried to say earlier cocci is a quick killer, usually once you notice it you only have a day or two to treat for it. Corid is not a good treatment for cocci, I lost many birds trying to use Corid. The problem with Corid is that in hard water the medication adheres to the minerals in the water that changes the chemical makeup rendering it less effective. My vet provided me with a link to a study that shows it isn't very effective for game birds. If you have sulfadimethoxine on hand you can save your peas from cocci.
I know how cocci works and how to treat for it but we don't have vets that deal with chickens so getting the sulfadimethoxine would be hard. And like I said before, my question was about it drinking water. I was never completely sure that it even had cocci , I was just taking an educated guess.

I know how cocci works and how to treat for it but we don't have vets that deal with chickens so getting the sulfadimethoxine would be hard. And like I said before, my question was about it drinking water. I was never completely sure that it even had cocci , I was just taking an educated guess.

Your earlier description of the chick was a good one that points to cocci, especially the withdrawing of the head into the shoulders, rough appearance and difficulty eating and drinking. The chicks age rules out worms, cocci is the number one killer of peachicks and is a quick death as you found out. The other chick you will need to keep a close eye on.

Your earlier description of the chick was a good one that points to cocci, especially the withdrawing of the head into the shoulders, rough appearance and difficulty eating and drinking. The chicks age rules out worms, cocci is the number one killer of peachicks and is a quick death as you found out. The other chick you will need to keep a close eye on.
I am keeping a very close on it ! Thanks for the info :highfive:

Ok I have one other question, sorry ! The other peachick is acting normal but is getting lonely already. Would it be safe to get a other peachick? The cages are clean but I read somewhere that cocci is not contagious. And it would be given the medicated feed and the Corid as a preventive .

Ok I have one other question, sorry ! The other peachick is acting normal but is getting lonely already. Would it be safe to get a other peachick? The cages are clean but I read somewhere that cocci is not contagious. And it would be given the medicated feed and the Corid as a preventive .
Coccidiosis is contagious, but I think it's worth the risk. The stress the lone will suffer will make it miserable, and could make it get sick. Ge another.

Coccidiosis is contagious, but I think it's worth the risk. The stress the lone will suffer will make it miserable, and could make it get sick. Ge another.
Ok thank you ! I wandered how it COULDN'T be contagious :sick . But yeah I don't want the poor baby to worry itself sick !

Back
Top Bottom