Peachick problem! Please help !!!

I was able to get sulfadimethoxine (Albon) online. They needed a vet script to send it to me. I just called my vet, got the ok and his fax number. The company faxed something to my vet and they shipped the meds to me.

I haven't actually used it yet tho, lol. Wanted to have it on hand for when my peachicks go outside on the ground. What dosage do you use? Can the birds get multiple treatments as they transition to the ground? And does it go in their water or directly into their mouth? Thanks in advance!!

I was able to get sulfadimethoxine (Albon) online. They needed a vet script to send it to me. I just called my vet, got the ok and his fax number. The company faxed something to my vet and they shipped the meds to me.

I haven't actually used it yet tho, lol. Wanted to have it on hand for when my peachicks go outside on the ground. What dosage do you use? Can the birds get multiple treatments as they transition to the ground? And does it go in their water or directly into their mouth? Thanks in advance!!

It depends on the percentage strength of your package, but usually, it is one teaspoon per gallon of water. Make fresh daily and give it for five days every two or three weeks depending on conditions, (number of birds per sq, cold, wet, etc.) That was a smart move to have some on hand, good girl! Now watch for any of them that might stand around looking rough or withdrawing the head into the shoulders. My vet recommendation was to give it on a regular schedule, but as you know I have a lot of chicks and can easily miss one that may be coming down.

Did you get the liquid or the powder? If you got the liquid, which one did you get? If you got Albon suspension, that must be given orally.

That must be given orally. Did your vet tell you how much to give?
Package states for dogs & cats, 25mg/lb for initial dose then 12.5mg/lb for maintenance doses every 24 hours. It works out to be 0.5ml/lb then 0.25ml/lb. I will get some current weights on my birds prior to dosing. Is it same dosing for birds as it would be for dogs & cats?

It's been very wet and cool up here in NY this summer. Lots of flooding. I'm sure there's tons of cocci around.

Package states for dogs & cats, 25mg/lb for initial dose then 12.5mg/lb for maintenance doses every 24 hours. It works out to be 0.5ml/lb then 0.25ml/lb. I will get some current weights on my birds prior to dosing. Is it same dosing for birds as it would be for dogs & cats?

It's been very wet and cool up here in NY this summer. Lots of flooding. I'm sure there's tons of cocci around.
Yeah, not sure about the bird vs cat/dog dose. I give mine ~23 mg per pound for five days.

Ok , it's a wire cage about 3' by 1 1/2' that has pine shavings in it ( there in it through the day ) then at night they go in a smaller wire cage with a heat lamp . The cages refreshed daily and cleaned every 2 days. Not sure what the temp is, they are neither hot nor cold but look comfortable. To make a long story short, a light was not properly kept on them before I got them so I can't put it to close.They are getting medicated chick starter. It is also the same one having the drinking problem but I didn't think the coccidiosis would have anything to do with it.
You need to make sure the temp. is around 90 degrees at this time ...that would be a good start.
Start them off ( right after they hatch ) at 95 degrees then drop it 5 degrees every week thereafter.
Supply fresh air, ( not a draft on them ) and a nice sunny lit room ( not direct sun as to heat them too much) and give them room in the brooder for them to get away from too much heat, if need be, can only help.
Vitamins/electrolytes and probiotics can only help.
Tractor supply carries a good one by rooster booster, about 7bucks for a 8 oz. jar.
Sounds like possibly a bit of vitamin def. going on there .

I have only used the powder so I will bow out to Kathys advice.
IMG_3453.JPG

I have only used the powder so I will bow out to Kathys advice.
img_3453-jpg.1094965
The sulfonamides entry of 55 mg/kg means that all oral sulfa drugs are given at 55 mg/kg. The 5% (50 mg/ml) Albon (Sulfadimethoxine) *suspension* dose for that is:
1 / 2.2 x 55 / 50 = 0.5 ml per pound orally once a day.

The Sulfadimethoxine (DiMethox) *liquid* I have is 12.5% (125 mg/ml). It is water soluble, and I think it says 15 ml per gallon for 5 days.

I give it orally @ 0.2 ml per pound.

Back
Top Bottom