Peachick sexing

Thanks for the update.
Okay peafowl friends, now that I know I have two girls I need some advice. I have a friend with a lonely coming 3-year-old male and she would like me to take him on to be with my two girls. They are 3 months old. At what age is appropriate to introduce them safely to an older male? What is the best way to do that? I also know another person who has a lonely male and would like to buy one of my girls. I would be okay with that since they would be split into two pairs and everyone would have a mate, but I worry about the stress on the young girls. Any advice and suggestions are welcome as I want to do right by all birds involved. What is the best and safest scenario?

Last edited:
At this age and time of year there is little to worry about when introducing birds of different ages. The hens most likely won't lay any eggs until spring of 2024.
Thanks! So nothing to worry about in terms of him picking on the young girls or trying to mate them in the springtime?

If I only keep one girl and rehome the other to the other lonely male, I want to make sure that doesn't cause either of the young females too much stress and that they would successfully bond with the older males.

Is it like other bird introductions...site only for a few days/weeks?

He will. That is why I would keep two hens to reduce stress on a single. An older cock will have less of the raging hormones that a younger more aggressive cock would. I would keep them as a trio.
I've found in my birds even older IB and IB mutation cock birds can be aggressive to the hens. My indigo rooster was rough on a couple of his hens this year and he's 7 so fully mature. He and all of his children though are very dominant birds though so it might have just been a matter of me needing to switch out for more dominant hens.

Back
Top Bottom