Peachick with leg sticking straight out?

Too high of temperature and high humidity can contribute to crooked toes and splayed legs. You might want to get an independent hygrometer and salt test calibrate it and a reliable, accurate independent thermometer that has been calibrated.
I have a friend who raises peafowl, and she too has had a abnormal amount of chicks with leg problems this year.
Philidelphia Instruments sells lab-grade thermometers and hygrometers at reasonable prices, check them out. This has been an awful hatching season for most of us that I have been in contact with. Our production was about a third of what it should have been. So many clear eggs and fully developed eggs not hatching is across the board and late hatches are baffling. I had a few peachicks hatch out on day 32 and 33 and many that pip and not zip, those are the ones I had to tape the toes and work on the legs. Lowering my humidity in the incubator to 40% fixed the rough navels but the rest of the problems remain.

Philidelphia Instruments sells lab-grade thermometers and hygrometers at reasonable prices, check them out. This has been an awful hatching season for most of us that I have been in contact with. Our production was about a third of what it should have been. So many clear eggs and fully developed eggs not hatching is across the board and late hatches are baffling. I had a few peachicks hatch out on day 32 and 33 and many that pip and not zip, those are the ones I had to tape the toes and work on the legs. Lowering my humidity in the incubator to 40% fixed the rough navels but the rest of the problems remain.
I have a friend who raises peafowl and she too has had a terrible year with crooked toes splayed legs, chicks that pipped but that was as far as they got and numerous chicks that were DIS.

I will, I hope I can fix it.

It’s only been out of the incubator for about 3 hours now. It’s eaten a tiny bit. I take my chicks out of the incubator about 24 hours after they hatch and show them the food and water. Most of them will try food right away.
sorry to hear about your problems and not being able to save the one, you gave it a good try for sure.
Just fyi, you do know that chicks don't need food for the first 2-3 days?
They're living off their yolk sacs until then and need to be able to fully utilize it.
To offer water is fine but they prob. won't even drink until day 2 .

Mostly good news to report. It appears that I was able to fix all but one of the chicks. One with its leg sticking straight out never responded to any of the treatments I tried and started to decline and sadly had to be put down. The other chick with its leg sticking straight out has made a full recovery. The slipped tendon chick seems to be on the mend as well. Untaped the leg tonight and its looking a little stiff, but moving around well. Fingers crossed that in a few days it will be completely recovered. View attachment 1858909
Congrats on fixing most of the chicks, and sorry you lost the one. :hugs

Sorry to hear that your production is down this year. What humidity would you recommend if incubating and hatching in the same incubator? That seems crazy that they hatched that late. How did you know the eggs had live chicks in them still?

Sorry to hear that your production is down this year. What humidity would you recommend if incubating and hatching in the same incubator? That seems crazy that they hatched that late. How did you know the eggs had live chicks in them still?
I can't make that recommendation as I hatch in a hatcher, they really do take different humidity settings for incubating and hatching. We candle all the eggs that don't hatch so we can record the eggs progress and keep records.

Back
Top Bottom