peacock as a indoor pet

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by muus, Dec 23, 2013.

1. muus

muus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2013
    Hi
    Anyone haves peafowls in her home? I want to have eggs to incubate and have my peacocks at home indoor. I'll take them a walk everyday. I live beside a big garden that havesplaces with water, grass and land. A lot of pine trees and almond trees.
    I need to ask you if they are good pets? i can put them a diaper harness?
    Thank you

2. heather03

heather03 New Egg

Oct 29, 2013
    I currently have 2 chicks in my classroom! We hatched them about 2 months ago. They are sweet and affectionate. I love them. I wasn't planning on keeping them but I can't imagine getting rid of them :( I will be interested to see what others have to say. I know I can't keep them forever, but how long is reasonable? Have others had them indoors?

3. BYC-user-174785

BYC-user-174785 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    I have not raised peafowl indoors, nor would I want to. Peafowl are not a little caged bird that does fine indoors. Peafowl are very big birds that benefit from being outside. Even when they are raised outside, there are differences. For example, Zazouse has a bird paradise and her peafowl free-range, which obviously does a lot of good for them. Her peafowl seem to mature much quicker compared to my birds that are penned most of the time. You said you would take them for walks - how would you do that? Peafowl are excellent fliers, but you did mention a leash or something like that. I would not recommend that, since peafowl still are powerful birds. You probably could have a diaper on them, but peafowl poop when stressed, and their feces are large and smelly. I am fine with it but some people cannot stand the smell! Do you have pictures of a "diaper harness" in use? I am just thinking that it may get in the way of a train, but I do not know how it looks. If you do hatch out peachicks and imprint them, I imagine they would stick around. I hope I did help a bit, but if you need clarification, then please let me know. Some people on here have had peafowl inside, but I do not think it was their permanent home inside. That just seems like trouble!

4. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Do you have a backyard that you could build a pen for them in? At least you could have a small door you could open and close to let them in and out...

The first peachick I hatched out I kept inside in a baby crib with a thin bed sheet over the top. This was just when he was young. Soon they start getting bigger and before you know it just them flapping a little to stretch out their wings sends papers flying everywhere.

I too am not sure how a dipper would do since peafowl (even the peahens) have longer tails than chickens. The dipper probably would be a hindrance to the peacock's train and especially when it came time to display, which when they display their train is around 8ft. wide and can be 6ft tall so a peacock would need space to strut.

Another thing you have to think about is feathers. Just in a peacocks train alone they have 100 or more feathers. That is a lot of feathers strewn all over your house. Feather "dandruff" is another thing you would have to worry about in regards to feathers. When birds grow new feathers, a plastic looking cover helps protect the feather until it falls off or the bird preens and gets the "dandruff" off of their feathers.

Where would the peafowl sleep? If they sleep on a pillow or doggy bed, they could get used to sleeping on the ground and if you ever had to move them to an outside pen, they would be hard to train to use the roost, which using the roost is safer than sleeping on the ground.

If you end up with a peacock, once he gets older, he will start calling during the breeding season. I love the noise peacocks make, but I have been under a covered shed when my peacock Alto decided to call, and the sound was greatly amplified because of the roof and the sides. I can just imagine how noisy it would get with a peacock inside! Hopefully he wouldn't call a bunch...Or call at night.

I only keep chicks inside in the crib, and I quickly move them outside to a larger chick pen where they are much happier.

The only time I recall people keeping peafowl indoors is when they are sick and need monitoring. Some people bring there peafowl in shortly to weigh them or just for them to visit.

I couldn't imagine keeping a peafowl indoors but I guess it could work...Just watch out. Sometimes if you raise a peacock up from a chick, when they get older they will get very aggressive to you. The peacock I raised up from a chick hasn't been aggressive to me, but I keep him in an aviary.

This is my hand raised Peacock Peep. He gets his head scratchin' every day.
    [​IMG]

Here is Peep when he was younger. This is the size (maybe a bit smaller) when I moved him outside. I would watch him through the window at night in his outside pen running around catching bugs that were attracted to the light. You just can't get that indoors.
    [​IMG]

Here is the crib I was talking about. It has fabric mesh sides and can fold up. This is Peep checking out the new peachicks.
    [​IMG]

This is the outside peachick pen. This is before we added the chicken wire over it to make the holes smaller. We bought this at the local Farm & Nursery Mart as a chicken pen, but it is great for peachicks. The peachicks will hang out in the chicken nest boxes and I put logs in there for them to jump on. When the grass is cut I give them the grass cuttings (the grass doesn't have pesticides).
    [​IMG]

In my opinion, the ideal setup is for them to be in an outside pen because it is closer to what they would have in the wild, BUT I have only kept peachicks inside so who knows. Maybe keeping an adult peafowl indoors is fun and will work out. [​IMG]

Make sure if you do go through with this you take the peacock or peahen outside for say an hour or more. Give it some time to scratch around and eat grass and bugs. Let it take some dust baths. When I keep older peachicks in the outside pen I let them out sometimes to let them take a dust bath. I even let out the not so tame ones. They might fly around, but the nice thing about peachicks is they can't fly so fast and far like the older birds can. Don't catch a peafowl by the legs. When I grab one I grab them by the sides firmly and wrap my arms around them.

I am just imagining the FedEx guy coming to deliver a package to your house, and instead of a dog barking, there is a peafowl honking at him! Haha it would be interesting to see if they make alarm calls when someone walks up to the door.

1 person likes this.
  5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Great post Minx[​IMG]

6. muus

Dec 16, 2013
    Oh my god!!!!
    It's one of the better posts i'be seen in my live(I have seen a lot).
    You tell how you care you peacock in your indoor and in your backyard, you explained very well.
    I think i will get green peafowls but is very hard to find anyone ho haves here, common peafowls here in spain are a very "common", because that, I prefer having the green one. Are more beautifull in my opinion,and have a lot of elegance, the females too. I want 3 or 4 peachicks but when they grow, i'm going to have only one(a female)and sell the others to anyone who wants exotic species in her garden.
    I need to have animals like that because i'm going to do a researchable work on my center, the final work in Bachillerat that it account a 10% of my final note. I've presented my work and a lot of teachers want to watch it. And the other thing because i want that peafowls is for doing a documentary. They are a lot of domesticable birds that don't have any documentary and people want to have that birds, but when anybody have them in home, they feel "too special".
    Here in spain only a few people have poultry animals like a pet, because they don't listen what the people say about that. They are people like that but the most think its nonsense... and i want to change that. They always think the dog and the cat are the only good friends of the man, but I say thats is not so. In the presentation of my work, I said that the goose is the best friend of the man, like the dog, and the majority of pultry animals are understimated and only used for eggs and met.
    About the other messages:
    heather03, we wait for anyone who haves peafowls indoor
    Blue crick farm, thank you for your information. I know that peafowls are excellent flyers, in a park near by my home they released a pair of peafowls. The male never was seen, but the female stayed a month and leaved the park, or anyone stole the birds(probably is the second) Here in spain you can't have animals near the public....
    Thanks

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  7. BYC-user-174785

Nov 23, 2012
    Green peafowl - MinxFox and I sure talk a lot about those!!! They are even more flighty and more aggressive. Can you please post picture of the green peafowl?

8. muus

Dec 16, 2013
    The name is green peafowl or java peafowl
    Is that: [​IMG]
    I don't know but i think is a little bit smaller than the common peafowl.

9. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Wow that sounds like a cool project! You have to make sure you show us all the documentary when it is done. [​IMG]

Blue Creek and I really love green peafowl but we don't have any but hopefully one day both of us will have some. Be careful with the green peafowl because they act more wild than the India blue varieties because they are not as domesticated. Still, they can be tamed. I have found a few photos of people petting them. Wow so you are in Spain! That is a good idea about just keeping a peahen. That will be much easier to deal with than a peacock. Just make sure that when you sell the others you tell them that green peafowl are not good at free-ranging. They won't stay like India Blues will.

So do you already know of where to buy the green peafowl? I don't know if anyone here in the US sells green peafowl as little chicks. They are endangered and more expensive than regular peafowl and so I think that is why they wait to sell them when they are older chicks. I have no idea about the breeders in and around Spain though. You of course would need them to be eggs or small chicks since they need to be tame.

Here are some information pages on green peafowl:
    http://www.bamboopeacock.com/The Dragon Birds' Plight.html

http://www.pfauenfarm.de/Home-English/The-Peafowl/Husbandry-PM/husbandry-pm.html

http://www.pavo-muticus-muticus.de/english/index.html

http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/Pavo Muticus Article.htm

http://www.pavo-muticus.com/english/home.html

Green peafowl are larger than common peafowl.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  10. BYC-user-174785

Nov 23, 2012
    I know what green peafowl are! I noticed you said java peafowl. That is not completely correct. As a whole, they are called green peafowl (Pavo muticus), the subspecies are Javanese Greens - Java (Pavo muticus muticus), Indo-Chinese Green (Pavo muticus imperator) and Burmese Green (Pavo muticus spicifer). I wanted you to show pictures of the people's peafowl that you would want eggs from. Many green peafowl are truly spaldings. It would be a shame for you to get spaldings instead of greens and then do a documentary of spaldings instead of a pure green. Green peafowl are larger than blue peafowl. If you were to work with pure green peafowl, then you should definitely breed them for conservation, and not raise them inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by