Peacock for tying flies

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by max13077, Mar 1, 2012.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Seems like over the past few years, the quality of peacock herl one can buy at fishing stores has taken a dive. I used to have some old peacock eyes where the fibers were ridiculously long, almost too long. I wish I could find some of those again. Just wondering if you folks who raise them would be willing to part with a few peacock eyes, monetarily compensated of course.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I can send ya some as i lost my older peacock and he left me with a beautiful vase of eye feathers and i have tons of rooster hackles also, in lots of colors, i will need to go to town to get a big envelope first though.

3. featherhead

featherhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2008
    Kentucky, USA
    I used to get most of my tying supplies from Orvis. Are they still around?

4. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I noticed that too. Before I got peafowl my mom would sometimes buy peafowl feathers from the craft store. I have compared the feathers from my peacocks to the store bought ones and the store bought ones do seem a little ratty looking and not as brilliant and like you said the herl is not very good on the store bought feathers.

5. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ya, they're still around. $$$$ The stuff they have is usually pretty good. Never bought any of their rods or reels because of the cost. Kinda like the BMW or Mercedes of the fly fishing world.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by