Peacock in MI still not displaying :(

He's certainly old enough. That's curious--usually at this time of year they've been quite actively displaying for a couple months. Is he calling? Does he seem intimidated by the hen? How's his activity level? Do his feathers look healthy, or unkempt? If he's not afraid of the hen, then there may be something else going on, i.e. sick bird.
sad.png

Quote:
he is very active! he looks healthy.... feathers are great! he is always with the hen but never dislpays...
ps.... ive only had him for 3 months... is it because he is new-ish?

That's possible. He came into a new home right about when he would normally have been gearing up for the breeding season; it might have thrown him off his confidence enough. I'm speculating, though. Often with peacocks they'll display at anything they see, so it is odd to have one that isn't. Has the hen been laying, or gone broody?

not that i know of... maybe he is displaying and she has a nest some where? they free range and usually run off for a few hours... maybe i can get up early enough to see where they go? what they do?
I live on about 70 +acres sooo.

Holy cats, 70 acres!
lau.gif
Sounds like heaven to me . . . and also plenty of room for them to wander around, forage for greens and bugs, choose a nest site, that kind of thing. Well, when our hens go broody, they basically fall off the map for four weeks; sometimes we'll hear a hen yelling, and come out to discover the broody has reappeared, neck feathers all ruffed up, cussing a blue streak about having to sit on those eggs all day. She grabs a bite to eat, drinks for a while, then goes back to wherever she's hidden her nest.

Ok if you just got him ...are you sure he is only 3 yrs. or even if a male...have seen old hens, after laying age color out like a male...or what color, green hens are colored like males without long train. Very old peacocks may not ,but like 25 + years

Pic would help, ..........very odd for a 3 yr old peacock not displaying .even 2 yr old will be displaying

Back
Top Bottom