Peacock insight

asscherer2004

Chirping
Jun 8, 2019
Hi Everyone!

I am looking at buying a pair of peacocks as I have always wanted an India blue pair. We currently have a few Ringnecks and 1 pair of Golden Pheasants. I live on an acreage with a nice grove and would like them to be free ranging at some point. I have a few questions and would appreciate any advice.

1. How do I acclimate them to stay on the site?
2. Will they survive outside a pen with all the natural predators? I live in southern MN and main predators are: red tailed hawks, coyotes, raccoons, skunks, opossums, fox, and a couple tomcats.
3. What do you feed your peacocks?

Thanks so much,
Nita

thank you! appreciate the info - I will check that out - any ideas on the predator question?

We live out in the middle of Nowhere along a creek so if it walks, crawls, or flies we have it. If it were not for our two Great Pyrenees we couldn't have free range birds at all. You can try to predator proof your pens but it is hard to do and can get expensive.

Hi,

Someone else mentioned Great Pyrenees to me as a good dog to have. They seem like a neat dog. How do they do being on their own for longer periods of time as I work 12 hour shifts? Also, are they good about sticking around if trained on the area or do they tend to run? I appreciate your insight as I have been wanting a dog around but I worry as I am gone longer periods of time.

Thanks,
Nita

Back
Top Bottom