Peacock mating

WilliamandKate

Hatching
Jul 25, 2016
iowa
I have a male and female pair of peacocks that laid their first clutch of eggs this year and it got me thinking about getting more females. I've read that I should have anywhere from 2 to 5 hens to one cock. I was wondering if I were to have multiple hens, would all of them lay fertilized eggs, and if so how many a piece.

I have a male and female pair of peacocks that laid their first clutch of eggs this year and it got me thinking about getting more females. I've read that I should have anywhere from 2 to 5 hens to one cock. I was wondering if I were to have multiple hens, would all of them lay fertilized eggs, and if so how many a piece.

A male Pea can cover several hens so...yes the eggs should be fertile. Most hens will lay a clutch of 5-8 eggs and then sit. If you take eggs away they may continue to lay.

A peacock will try to breed with as many hens as they can. Usually though one male will cover 1-5 hens. Most people will have them in pairs or trios. If they're free range they'll try to breed as many hens as they can. I have one male with 4 hens. It took him about a month before I got fertile eggs from all of the hens. That could be just because my White male is a 2 year old and he would put so much focus into one hen for about a week before he would try to breed the other hen. Except my Spalding and Black Shoulder hen. They would bite him after he already bred them so he only wanted them for a couple days. Hens can lay 5-8 eggs in one clutch, more or less. If you continue to collect their eggs they will lay more.

It's good to have multiple hens also because males can get aggressive towards hens during the breeding season so if he has multiple hens he won't be focusing on harassing any one of them for to long.

Back
Top Bottom