Peacock not behaving normally

Do you have the dog product? If so, I think that each pack contains 222mg fenbendazole. Read the box and tell me what it says.

-Kathy

Last edited:
ok, I went and weighed a gallon of milk... about 8lbs and just went on picked him up... kicking and I would guess in the 5-6lb range... not 7-8 for sure.

yes 222mg/g

Last edited:
ok, I went and weighed a gallon of milk... about 8lbs and just went on picked him up... kicking and I would guess in the 5-6lb range... not 7-8 for sure.

yes 222mg/g
If he's year old and only 6 pounds he's much thinner than he should be. Can you figure out how to get half a pack of the granules into him? If not, can you go to Tractor Supply and get a bottle of Safeguard goats or Safeguard horse paste and give it to him with a syringe?

-Kathy

Either way, he should be wormed five days in a row. When you picked him up, did you noticed what his breastbone felt like? Look at this picture and let me know.

-Kathy

ok... never done that before... can I take a big syringe and put it in his mouth and hope it goes down the right path or he swallows it?

I would think this would be a 2 person job... my wife is out of town until Thursday, so I'm by myself for a bit.

thanks so much for all your help Kathy

Just to be clear, a six pound bird should get 135mg for five days and 1/2 a pack is 111mg, which is probably close enough. You'll need to weigh your other boy and dose him, too.

4 pounds get 91mg
5 pounds get 114mg
6 pounds get 135mg
7 pounds get 160mg
8 pounds get 181mg
9 pounds get 205mg
10 pounds get 227mg

Please check my math.

Pounds divided by 2.2 x 50 = the dose in mg of fenbendazole needed.

-Kathy

ok... never done that before... can I take a big syringe and put it in his mouth and hope it goes down the right path or he swallows it?

I would think this would be a 2 person job... my wife is out of town until Thursday, so I'm by myself for a bit.

thanks so much for all your help Kathy
The best thing to do would be to go buy a bottle of liquid or paste. You need more anyway, right?

-Kathy

I'm not sure if you would recommend this, Kathy, but if @sasglm is going to have to wait until Thursday to medicate he might try feeding safeguard on bread or other food:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...n-case-this-is-useful-to-anyone#post_15680497
He's using granules. Maybe he could grind up 1/2 a pack, mix with water, soak in bread or crackers, but I doubt the bird will eat them on his own. I honestly don't think the bird will live until Thursday.
sad.png
Sure hope I'm wrong.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom