Peacock not behaving normally

well the temp out there right now is 75 today, and he's not too eager for me to even touch him let alone pick him up and move him.
I last gave Fenbendazole (Safegueguard4) 6 weeks ago.

I've got some heartroom medicine for our dog and some flea and tick too.

of course all the normal stuff for 2 parents and 2 kids
When you gave him the wormer, how much did you give and how did you give it?

-Kathy

I gave them both about 1/4gram wrapped up in some bread that I feed them every morning.
That was at least 6 weeks ago and no issues until now.
I did see some poop when I was just out there, but I can't be sure which one it came from.

Dark Brown, and almost the consistency of thick Ketchup.

I gave them both about 1/4gram wrapped up in some bread that I feed them every morning.
That was at least 6 weeks ago and no issues until now.
I did see some poop when I was just out there, but I can't be sure which one it came from.

Dark Brown, and almost the consistency of thick Ketchup.

A one day treatment at that amount won't will treat large roundworms and cecal worms, but it won't treat capillary worms, those need 5 days in a row.

I really think your guy is gonna need some drugs, but hard to say which ones.

-Kathy

If you do manage to get a photo of some poop or notice any other symptoms, let us know.
You're right, your peaboy probably won't be thrilled about being handled - I think most of them hate it!
But it's likely that your boy needs help right away.

He made it through the night, but didn't roost up on the 6ft high board where they normal sleep, but that didn't surprise me.
I saw him take a drink of water this morning.

BTW I mixed up about 1/3 gram of the safeguard and put it in their water bowl this morning.
Right now he's got his head tucked under his left wing sleeping.

I did see some new white poop out there this morning, but just a little here and there.
One thing I didn't mention that I remember from Friday, when I was feeding them grapes, he appeared to have a hard time swallowing them( I cut grapes up into 2-3 smaller pieces for them)
I didn't think anything of it until this morning.

Do I need to worry about the other one getting whatever this one might have? They have very different personalities and the non sick one is defiantly the A male.

thanks
gary

He might have capillary worms. Capillary worms can affect the esophagus, crop and intestines. Treatment for them is Safeguard at 23mg per pound orally for five consecutive days. The amount you put in the water is very unlikely to treat anything. :(

-Kathy

Ok, so I have the 1gram packets of Safe-guard, I would guess he's 3-4lbs at 1-2yo? not sure of weight since I don't ever pick them up.
what amount would you suggest if I could get him to take it... one way or another
hmm.png

what form? in a solution to push down him?

thanks

Ok, so I have the 1gram packets of Safe-guard, I would guess he's 3-4lbs at 1-2yo? not sure of weight since I don't ever pick them up.
what amount would you suggest if I could get him to take it... one way or another :/
what form? in a solution to push down him?

thanks

At 12 months he should weigh at least 7 pounds. Can you pick him up and make a guess?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom