Peacock pen pricing

doudini2

Songster
12 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Hello again,

I just got an estimate from a handyman, for 2000$ including materials, to build 14' by 25' pen of height 8'. Without the electric wire though.It is adjacent to the garage on one side, and wooden fence on the other. Two sides exposed. I think he only quoted one layer of wire, and the netting on top, and steel posts, without putting them into concrete. Also he would build small gate to walk through. Is metal better then wood posts? I do not want to pour concrete.

I feel like this is too much. Any ideas of who to ask to do this job? I hoped to get it done under 1000$ or 1500$ with materials.

Thank you.
K.

That sounds like a heck of a lot of money but then I don't know what to tell you is a good price.
idunno.gif

Can you try to recycle or get free materials somewhere?

pricing, specifically the labor rate, is really going to depend on what location you are in and what the market bears there. First thing you should do is some material price checking. Go to the hardware store (or look online) and see what the materials you want to use will cost, you might find just the materials cost $1000-$1500. You will be in a much better position to negotiate a labor rate if you know how much materials are. You can even offer to buy materials and just pay labor rate to get it built.

And speaking from experience, make sure whomever you do end up hiring you get a detailed sketch of what they are building, exactly how they will do it, a signed contract listing out what (size, etc) they will be building, expected timeline and cost you will pay. TRUST ME on this one.

$2000 does not sound that bad if you are shopping in the "ordinary" places. To get it bellow that you will need to find great deals, craigslist is very helpful also google the supplies you need you might find other deals. However, do not skimp, a pen that $2000 dollars but is fully of happy healthy birds is better than a $1000 pen full of birds that were killed by a predator that got is because you did not use the right materials.

Last edited:
Quote:
I just bought some PT landscape timber (3x5x8 rounded sides) for $3.97 each at Home Depot, placed them 7-8 feet apart. The shed cost me the most about $400 to build it is 10 x 14. The wire is about $20 a roll 48" x 50 feet and the netting is about $80 a roll. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom