Peacock suddenly limping

Waterfaery

Crowing
10 Years
Jan 23, 2014
Ireland
Hi everyone. I had a very sad experience with chickens several years ago and I got wonderful help on backyard chickens, which I really appreciate. Now I have a problem with one of my peacocks and I'd be so grateful if anyone can help.

He was completely normal yesterday and is suddenly limping today. He is using the lame foot to balance and hobble around but he won't put any weight on it. When he's standing still he holds the leg up. He is eating normally and seems quite well otherwise. He is able to fly up to a high perch and back down again. He seems to be spending a lot of time sitting down but I'm really hoping that he's just resting because of being in pain rather than being ill. He can get up and move around but he's obviously less active than normal. As I said, his appetite seems to be fine.

He is in an aviary with another peacock, two peahens and five chickens. The rest of the birds are all fine and well. The other peacock is his brother and they were raised from the same clutch. They have always been reasonably happy with each other for the most part and we have never seen them fight. During the breeding season each year they can get a bit less friendly towards each other but it has never become particularly aggressive. Outside of the breeding season they are always calm and seem to be good friends. They are about six years old now and we have noticed that the other peacock seems to become a bit more dominant with each year that goes by. Although there haven't been any proper fights, the dominant one has been pecking the other one a bit and chasing him away from the best perch and from the peahens. I would hate to think that he has hurt his brother but I wonder if it is a possibility.

It's very difficult to get a close look to examine him. The peafowl are friendly but we don't handle them. They come to us when they know we have food but they generally don't come closer than about a metre away. The only thing we have been able to check is the underside of his foot as we can see it when he's holding it up and there doesn't seem to be anything unusual there.

Does anyone have any advice about what to look for in terms of diagnosing where the actual problem is? If there is anything we can look out for by observing him without handling him, that would be really helpful. We could probably catch him if necessary but I really don't want to do that unless it's an absolute last resort.

Also, if there's anything we can actually do to help him I would really love to know. It's so hard knowing he's in pain and I'm so worried that he might deteriorate, especially since I don't think there are any vets at all where we are that can help. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Most likely a sprain from a hard or awkward landing.
This was what i was going to say. Intermittently my White Peacock will limp around for the day and go back to normal. He's 2, and thinks it's great fun to fly up and land again, he's calmed down some and hasn't been limping for a while now.

Thanks for the replies. Is there any way I could tell if it's a sprain or something else? And is there anything I can actually do about it? I don't even know how to tell what part of the leg or foot is sore. Is there much chance he will recover on his own?

I'm a bit disappointed that there's no improvement today but at least it doesn't seem to be getting worse either. He's standing up a bit more today than yesterday but he's keeping the leg up more and it's rarely coming down to the ground at all. His limp looks the same as yesterday when he's moving around. He's still eating normally and flying up to perch and back down. He roosted in his normal place last night without trouble.

If the leg is broken he will not put any weight on it at all and you should see that the bone is not straight. If it is broken the vet can x-ray it and apply a cast. When I find one with a broken leg I put a cast on it myself.
IMG_2556.JPG

Thanks for that. When he's trying to walk he puts weight on just the tip of his long middle toe very briefly and quickly hops to keep the weight on his good leg. When he's standing still on the ground or on the perch he has the sore leg held up and puts no weight on it at all. It doesn't look to me like anything is not straight. I'll see if I can try to get a photograph.

I've just been speaking with my local vet. They are not really bird vets but the vet was very helpful. He's going to give us an anti inflammatory to start with and take it from there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom