Peacock unsettled

K A Davis

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2020
Dear all, I'm interested in anyone who keeps an all male group of peacocks. I was assured by breeder that all males will get on fine albeit with a little establishing hierarchy. I have 4, first 2 bought 2 summers ago, next 2 last summer, 3and 2 years respectively now. One of 3 year old has full tail the other has pitiful tail having run into some issues in past or maybe he's a late bloomer! The one with no tail is a Spalding who I have read can be more aggressive. They all live very happily in their enclosure and outside during non mating season. However, after a while this spring the Spalding took to frog marching the 2 year old White peacock. I first felt it was because the white was somewhat self possessed and did his own thing and Spalding was keeping him in sight. Rather rounding him up like a hen. Eventually the others started to copy somewhat and even though White seemed fairly unbothered to start with became taunted and flew off to nearby farm to get away. I feel like white is rather submissive and won't give the fight the Spalding is obviously after (Spalding if white is inside has picked on the boss (full tail)) and got the fight he wanted and the situation is then sorted!
I have now separated their outside time only letting the 2 age groups out together, 2 by 2. I am hoping when they all have full tails and grown out of teenage hood they may settle next year.
Am I being naive?
Is there a chance they will settle with age?
Do whites always get picked on because they are different?
If I were to have to find home for one next year, would it be submissive white or bullying Spalding?!
Any thoughts experiences GREATLY received.

I remember the first time I saw 40+ peacocks, all with long tails in a large barn at Leggs Peafowl. I was amazed and asked how he did it, Brad said No girls! Yes, I now have a 'Bullpen' we keep multiple mature cocks in. Every now and again they will pick on a bird but normally it is one that is defective in some way. Give them a hiding space in case they get rambunctious. Note that there is an immature hen in this pen, the boys know she is too young and have not bothered her.
IMG_0372.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0368.JPG
    IMG_0368.JPG
    734.1 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom