1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peacocks and pheasants

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by birdiecanada, Mar 15, 2013.

1. birdiecanada

birdiecanada New Egg

Mar 15, 2013
    Hi, would love some advice in regards to my birds. This morning my male golden pheasant died and a few days ago my female lady Amherst died. In the aviary I have different kinds of pheasants and male/female peacock living together. It's a very large space that was built last summer. The birds have gotten along for months until this week two have died. Is it possible the male peacock is killing them? I wonder since the birds are in mating season that the peacock is more aggressive towards them. Would love some advice in what do do, breaks my heart since my birds are pets and quite close to all of them. Thanks

2. De Wet

De Wet Chillin' With My Peeps

it could be a transfereble desease from one bird to another

3. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    This is their season to pair up,so they could be killing each other if they are kept together.They should be kept seperate anyways to prevent cross breeding.They should get along fine with the peafowl.
    In N.H.,Tony.

4. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    I would agree with De Wet. If those two birds didn't show any signs of trauma, you might very well have a contagious disease of some type. How long have these birds been housed together, have they appeared sickly the past few days, and have you added any new birds to your aviary lately ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by