peacocks with fleas

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by goose man al, May 1, 2009.

1. goose man al

goose man al Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Wisconsin
    my aunt just got some peacock and they all had fleas any ideas how to get reid of them. they are also on her chickens and help with getting them off of them?

2. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    they are most likely mites...

They're something out there you put on them and in there coop to kill them.

3. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Try dustbathing them with food grade diatomaceous earth. Don't touch it too much or breathe it in. I buy it at the feed store, it's like Sevin, but non-toxic (well, it's lethal to the bugs...) You can just put some in the spot where they dustbathe if they have a specific place they like and they'll do all the work for you. I do this for my chickens as well as occasionally putting some in the nest boxes.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Putting 1cc of Ivomec on their back or under their wing will help kill most creepy crawlys that like to live in/on them... [​IMG]

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    you need to watch the Ivermectin, I can cause liver damage if not given in the correct dosage, Plus it does nothing for the ones in the pen. Go to a local feed store or farm supply place and get Sevin Dust. It's harmless to us and animals, but will kill the crap out of mites, fleas, and the such. Take out all bedding and burn it, them dust all the pens, and the birds. Grab a handfull and rub it in against the feathers so that it gets down to the skin. Also, if they have a dust /dirt bath wallow made some where, put a good bit in it, and they will reaply it theirselves. Wash up afterwards, It's harmless, but still it is a insecticide. Works wonders though, have used it all my life.
    Aubrey

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by