Peafowl 101: Basic care, genetics, and answers.

My mother rescued this Peahen that was roaming around the neighborhood. She will be bringing to live with me, my chickens and Guinea fowl. not sure if she has been wormed. I doubt it but do I need to quarantine her from my other fowls. They all Free range during the day and share a coop at night. Please Help.

My mother rescued this Peahen that was roaming around the neighborhood. She will be bringing to live with me, my chickens and Guinea fowl. not sure if she has been wormed. I doubt it but do I need to quarantine her from my other fowls. They all Free range during the day and share a coop at night. Please Help.
From my limited experience in having a peacock adopt me and buying 2 peahens last month to keep him company, I would deworm her just to be safe. The info I've gotten here and from my recent vet visit with one of my peahens, peas are more susceptible to diseases/parasites that chickens carry. Better safe than sorry. :)

Question,i have two young males and three hens in a pen the males have been raised together do i have to seperate the males and if so what age. Thanks
Dennis

They may or may not get along, it kind of depends on how much area and how many hens they end up with. I do not let two cocks of three years or older bunk together. One mature male and a yearling usually get along but junior can cause problems when the birds are mating.

Happy New Year to all. Hopefully 2017 will be a good year for all.

I do have a genetics question for those familiar with cameos. This year I got quite a few cameo chicks and though most have been sold I am keeping four until Spring. My question is since I used a IB male split cameo with IB hens then these four chicks plus all the other sold ones are all female. Do I have this correct?

Back
Top Bottom