Peafowl 101: Basic care, genetics, and answers.

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Kedreeva, Aug 19, 2010.

1. hafeez

hafeez Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2014
    sorry ........... I cant read Arabic

2. Arbor

Arbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    There is a possibility that he is bs dark pied (two copies of the pied gene), as this also can show the white throat patch. Only true way to tell is like what was previously stated: to breed him to a white. If some offspring come out white, he is split white; if all come out pied, he is carrying 2 copies pied gene; if only some come out pied, he is carrying 1 copy pied.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  3. hafeez

May 15, 2014
    OK................So what would be the best result,................... to mate him with whom , dark pied , pied, split , or white .

thanks

4. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    The "Best" result depends on what you want. If your goal is to figure out what genes he carries then breed to a white hen and compare the offspring to Arbors post above. If your goal is to try to get a very colorful showy variety of whites and pieds as soon as you can, then I think a pied would be best. IMO [​IMG]

5. Arbor

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    So true Dylansmom, know your goal before seeking the answer!

6. hafeez

May 15, 2014
    I am thankful to all those who have taken interest and guided me a lot ....

....please tell me,.............. does hatching eggs survives in by air transportation and if that is of 22 hours .what are odds

of their survival and how much would be the percentage of success.

7. Arbor

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    I don't know how well hatching eggs would do being shipped by air. However I do know that in my own country if I was to import eggs, they would have to be hatched at a government approved quarantine facility without me even being able to have access to them. That would mean I have to put complete faith in the people operating the facility.

8. kristin07035

kristin07035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2014
    NJ
    My first peachicks
    they are 2 months old
    any info appreciated as i have chickens but don't know much about these guys
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Hello @kristin07035 ,
    It's probably best if you start a new thread if you have some questions about your new cute [​IMG] friends!
    Also, what kind of information are you specifically looking for?
    For general info, you were in the right place, the Peafowl Stickies; you might browse around there some more...

*eta
    Ah, my mistake...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  10. kristin07035

kristin07035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2014
    NJ
    Hi @new 2 pfowl
    Thanks and yes looking for some general info. Never had peafowl before. Guy sold us these at our local poultry show today as a pair, but they look exactly alike to me just one is slightly bigger than the other so wondering how he knew.
    He also said they can live in the run & shed/coop with my chickens but wondering can they all be fed the same food?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by