Peafowl 103: Illness, Injury, Medication and Care (in progress)

Help, I have a pied peahen (my only pied)
I noticed she was gaping and shaking her head, with this gurgling noise. I isolated her from my other 8 peahens and peacocks and started treating her for Gap worm with Ivomectin. She seemed to pick up a little then a day later she was back to gurgling and shaking her head. After trying a tetracycline antibiotic I spoke to a vet and got some dytetraclycline which lasts in the system for 20 hrs.

Here we are 10 days after starting her on antibiotics from the vet and a second dose of wormers and there is no improvement.

Apart from Gape worm and a respiratory infection is there anything else that could cause these symptoms

Shaking of the head
Gurgling
Her wings are drooped onto the floor and she is not in great condition.

There is no discharge or sneezing she is eating and drinking everything I put in front of her.

Last edited:
Help, I have a pied peahen (my only pied)
I noticed she was gaping and shaking her head, with this gurgling noise. I isolated her from my other 8 peahens and peacocks and started treating her for Gap worm with Ivomectin. She seemed to pick up a little then a day later she was back to gurgling and shaking her head. After trying a tetracycline antibiotic I spoke to a vet and got some dytetraclycline which lasts in the system for 20 hrs.

Here we are 10 days after starting her on antibiotics from the vet and a second dose of wormers and there is no improvement.

Apart from Gape worm and a respiratory infection is there anything else that could cause these symptoms

Shaking of the head
Gurgling
Her wings are drooped onto the floor and she is not in great condition.

There is no discharge or sneezing she is eating and drinking everything I put in front of her.

The gurgling seems indicative of an upper respiratory infection. If you have any Tylan I would try treating with that, it seems to do a little better at clearing up the respiratory issues than the tetracyclines will.

Ivermectin would not be my first choice for gapeworms, I would use Safeguard at 0.23ml per pound for five days, That dose will treat roundworms, cecal worms, gapeworms, capillary worms and possible some species of tapeworms.

Tylan (tylosin) would be a good choice for mycoplasma, but won't work for something like E. coli or Pseudomonas.

Here is a chart:

-Kathy

I don't know if this is the right way to post to this thread. Please redirect if I am wrong.

I have a peachick that was hatched on May 1st 2015 along with a sibling. At 7 days old I saw the mother picking at the toes of one of them. I thought she was trying to get it to come under her wing. A few days later I noticed one limping. I gathered up the chicks and found that one had a toe completely amputated. It was not bleeding but very swollen. The mother had started pecking on the chicks other toes. Upon looking at the other chick I found it had several blackened toes. I took the chicks away and brought them into the house and put them in a small plastic container I use for hatchling finches that are abandoned. They were on a heating pad with a thermometer. I kept the temp at 90°. I gently cleaned the amputated toe and put polysporin on. A few days later the chick died. The remaining chick is eating and drinking. Moving around well but has several blackened toes. I have him on chicken starter feed, medicated,which he ignores. He loves scrambled eggs that are microwaved then broken up into small pieces. I used to feed him 15 grain bread but i stopped that because I thought he need better nutrition. He has been eating and growing. Today at 29 days old he started having trouble standing. He flaps around trying to get his balance then just sits. His appetite is still good. I am thinking he has finally got big enough that his compromised toes are not able to support his weight. I don't know if he needs more exercise, change of diet (still eating just eggs) or what I can do to help him. Does he need a low perch?

Poor little guy!
sad.png
Where are you located, and what is your weather like? That almost looks like frostbite.

Your best approach is really to start a new thread, to be sure that plenty of peapeople see your questions.
(Just in case, there's button that says "Start a New Thread")

And,

I just had a peachick hatch leaving behind a fluorescent green/yellow where it lays while drying. Can someone please help me with this? Is it ok or normal by any means? The newly hatched chicks before left a slightly dark yellow if any color and they are fine. I just don't understand, and don't want to mix with the others if it is bad!I don't currently have a picture but if needed I will get one. Thank you for your help!

I just had a peachick hatch leaving behind a fluorescent green/yellow where it lays while drying. Can someone please help me with this? Is it ok or normal by any means? The newly hatched chicks before left a slightly dark yellow if any color and they are fine. I just don't understand, and don't want to mix with the others if it is bad!I don't currently have a picture but if needed I will get one. Thank you for your help!
If it looks like this it's just the first poop:

-Kathy

It's coming from the feathers, belly area but it is the same color..so pooped in the egg before hatch maybe? Took about 3 1/2 days after initial egg pip to hatch also. I don't see anything wrong in the umbilical area as far as draining other than the blood. Also the umbilical cord was completely left in the shell. I had several others like that so I'm thinking that part is normal.

It's coming from the feathers, belly area but it is the same color..so pooped in the egg before hatch maybe? Took about 3 1/2 days after initial egg pip to hatch also. I don't see anything wrong in the umbilical area as far as draining other than the blood. Also the umbilical cord was completely left in the shell. I had several others like that so I'm thinking that part is normal.
There should be no liquid coming from the belly. Can you post a picture?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom