Peafowl 201: Further Genetics- Colors, Patterns, and More

Pics
A necropsy at our state vet seems to be a joke. So many of us in the breeding community have sent chickens, turkeys and Guineas off for necropsy only for them to always come back "undetermined." We really have no faith in our state vet office. We could send to NC but that would cost and take longer so none of us have tried that.

I don't think I will hatch from them anymore. It isn't like I want that coloring. They are sweet birds. The Peach hen is scissor beaked but not so badly that she doesn't eat well. The Cameo peacock is missing some digits in his toes but still walks and roosts fine. They have a nice pen and I even put some young Marans and Olive Egger in with them when they no longer needed to be in a brooder and they tolerated them pretty well.

I have colors and patterns that I am working on that is more my passion so this pair can just hang out and enjoy life on the farm.
big_smile.png

The lethal gene normally shows up after the bird is fully feathered. It's a slow process but one of the characterizations of it is the loss of pigment in some of the feathers. Basically a bird that started out looking like a normal cameo slowly starts to get more and more white on it. Such birds are sometimes sold under the moniker of "progressive pied" but the white feathers are a sign of their endocrine glands failing and not because they carry the pied gene.

The lethal gene normally shows up after the bird is fully feathered. It's a slow process but one of the characterizations of it is the loss of pigment in some of the feathers. Basically a bird that started out looking like a normal cameo slowly starts to get more and more white on it. Such birds are sometimes sold under the moniker of "progressive pied" but the white feathers are a sign of their endocrine glands failing and not because they carry the pied gene.

I am assuming that tests and necropsies have been done? Are there any studies available for reading?

-Kathy

It's not on cameo or peach birds, but the recent Peafowl Today magazine has a great article on a necropsy of a 7 year old charcoal hen. Unfortunately the necropsy in the article was inconclusive, but still interesting to read about. I wonder if with the genetic issues, a necropsy is more about ruling out other potential issues such as blackhead. I wonder too how much work has been done with the peafowl genome. Probably not as much as with humans & chickens.

It's not on cameo or peach birds, but the recent Peafowl Today magazine has a great article on a necropsy of a 7 year old charcoal hen. Unfortunately the necropsy in the article was inconclusive, but still interesting to read about. I wonder if with the genetic issues, a necropsy is more about ruling out other potential issues such as blackhead. I wonder too how much work has been done with the peafowl genome. Probably not as much as with humans & chickens.

I get to do genetic research on Charcoal peafowl and why the hens are sterile. Once I get apply and approved for a research grant I can begin.

They haven't done lethal gene testing on peafowl in a scientific paper yet but necropsys don't have found no sign of any pathogen or poison and the fact that it involves multiple birds in completely different settings suggests bad genes. This is even more likely due to the fact that purple and cameo are in pretty bad shape genetcally due to way to much inbreeding.

Charcoal peafowl have some bad traits such as blindness, sterile in the hens, shorten life span. The black plumage trait is the plus. I'm performing genetic research to learn if all these traits are on the same gene or not. If they're on the same gene then there's no hope for the Charcoal. If they are separate genes there's the possibility of outbreeding these problems. We can possibly out breed the bad genes by changing their environment. Nutrient supplements, hormonal therapy, getting new blood into them.

Back
Top Bottom