peafowl and guinea fowl together

peacockfarmer1

Songster
12 Years
Dec 11, 2010
north MS
i went and bought some guineas and have them in a seperate pen but i was wondering if they would get along ok with peafowl in a very large pen, do they pass disease to peafowl like chickens do? bc i dont keep chickens around my peafowl for that reason. another question is should i worm guineas with same wormer i use on peafowl. i dont think i have ever seen a sick guinea but i have seen lots of sick chickens and peafowl like respiratory problems

i went and bought some guineas and have them in a separate pen but i was wondering if they would get along ok with peafowl in a very large pen, do they pass disease to peafowl like chickens do? bc i dont keep chickens around my peafowl for that reason. another question is should i worm guineas with same wormer i use on peafowl. i don't think i have ever seen a sick guinea but i have seen lots of sick chickens and peafowl like respiratory problems
Guineas bond very easily with turkeys and I suspect that they will bond very well with peafowl. They need the same quality feed as the peafowl and the same type wormer should be okay.

If you want your peafowl to keep their beautiful tails I strongly recommend that you house and pen them separately from your peafowl. Guinea fowl tend to attack each other and other poultry from behind and delight in breaking off or pulling feathers. I have seen guineas destroy a tom turkey's beautiful tail feathers as well as doing the same to chickens. I have no doubt that they would gladly do the same for peacocks.

Most guineas don't live long enough to get sick due to their susceptibility to predators. I recommend that you read Raising Guinea Fowl 101 and pay particular attention to posts made by @PeepsCA

also i notice them laying in the most random spots it is a pretty big pen so its hard to find the eggs
First time layers often drop their eggs where ever the urge hits them. As the season goes on they will start laying in communal nests. Guinea hens do not usually take to normal chicken type nests. Some people have had success getting them to use nesting spots built with bales of hay or straw to form a hidden pocket among the bales. At least one woman has had success getting them to use nesting sites she made in her wheelbarrows. They do tend to be ground nesters in hidden places so elevated nest boxes are not their normal choice.

I have 2 peas and 5 guineas together right now and they’re getting along fine.

All birds are on lockdown currently as they’re new. Eventually they will all free range together. I was a bit Leary at first but not a bit of a problem.

Back
Top Bottom