peafowl and rain

Astrx

Songster
Mar 22, 2021
I currently have 2 peafowl and 2 peachicks and they are all free range and at night sleep on trees.I let the peafowl sleep there since the weather what was hot and never rained and I recently got 2 peachicks about 5 months old 3 weeks ago and they also go sleep on trees at night.So my question is if peafowl can get sick of getting wet from rain or not and if I should put them inside with the chickens in their coop.(coop is pretty big so won’t be crowded) or if I can let them stay on the trees.Also it is starting to get colder here not too cold that you need a jacket but still getting colder by each week.And I’m not sure if they can get sick because of the cold too

I'm in TN and my pea trio sleep in a huge, tall pine and have been roosting there since spring. We have had a wet summer. The rains do not affect the peafowl at all.
Pines offer quite a bit of protection from the weather and I will let the roost there through the winter. If you live in a colder state you might want to take that into account when deciding what to do.

If you finish filling out your profile with where you live we will be able to give you better information. It is perfectly natural for peas to live out in the open, the only time of concern is with late hatch chicks. Yours are old enough and remember that birds need to acclimate with the changing weather. Keeping them contained in a coop or barn will actually keep them from growing the insulation they need to be out in the harsh winter.

I'm in TN and my pea trio sleep in a huge, tall pine and have been roosting there since spring. We have had a wet summer. The rains do not affect the peafowl at all.
Pines offer quite a bit of protection from the weather and I will let the roost there through the winter. If you live in a colder state you might want to take that into account when deciding what to do.
Thank you I actually live here in Texas and it’s still very hot here it will be at 85° next week which isn’t really cold but I think I’m going to keep them with the chickens just incase it gets colder this year.

If you finish filling out your profile with where you live we will be able to give you better information. It is perfectly natural for peas to live out in the open, the only time of concern is with late hatch chicks. Yours are old enough and remember that birds need to acclimate with the changing weather. Keeping them contained in a coop or barn will actually keep them from growing the insulation they need to be out in the harsh winter.
Oh thank you I didn’t know I can do that on my profile but I’ll do it right now.And I might just let them get used to the coop so when the weather will be bad ill keep them there and when it’s normal I’ll let them go on the trees

Thank you I actually live here in Texas and it’s still very hot here it will be at 85° next week which isn’t really cold but I think I’m going to keep them with the chickens just incase it gets colder this year.
Oh thanks, that gave me my chuckle for the day. 85 as cold. My peacocks are happy and healthy here in Eastern Ontario where our winters are regularly -30c/-22 for weeks on end. Not to mention all the snow.
I'm pretty sure yours will be fine.

Oh thanks, that gave me my chuckle for the day. 85 as cold. My peacocks are happy and healthy here in Eastern Ontario where our winters are regularly -30c/-22 for weeks on end. Not to mention all the snow.
I'm pretty sure yours will be fine.
Haha here in Texas 85 is considered chilly for us since the average day it’s about 100°

Back
Top Bottom