Peafowl compared to Chickens

JasperMosby

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 4, 2014
Kingsley, MI
I would absolutely love to have some peacocks and peahens, but I would like to know how different they are from turkeys and chickens as far as behavior and the difficulty of raising them.

For me there is no difference! they are totally the same!
Peacocks ... are domestic birds ... since centuries!

To me they are more like guineas. I only have one turkey and he pals around with his goose buddy, standing by patiently while the goose swims his pool. They are pretty calm and very seldom run around just because. If you have close neighbors, peas will probably cause problems, during breeding season, they are VERY loud, think rooster on steroids only more often, I love their calls but a lot of people don't. I can't free range my peas during the day and depend on them to roost in the coop at night for safety like chickens do. Being a much larger bird they need a lot more space than chickens. Depending on your preference for India Blues or Javas, they may need heat in the winter.

same here, peas do not come home at night like chickens, we free range our chickens and tried with peas, but had to :( build a enclosure for them. they'd roost where ever and as they got bigger went further and further....
other than that keeping them is the same. some where to eat/sleep. they're very friendly and eat from your hands. they're just bigger. definitely louder in breeding season, and definitely the main attraction around here :)

Back
Top Bottom