1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peafowl eggs

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by dixygirl, Apr 21, 2009.

1. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Well my lovely white peahen started laying eggs today.
    [​IMG]
    Her mate is a gorgeous India blue male and they produce what look to be Pied India Blue chicks. Correction: blue x white. I do not want to raise peafowl this year so if anyone wants any of her eggs for hatching let me know by PM

Dixy

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Sending a PM to ya!

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

How much for your peafowl eggs? [​IMG]

4. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Dang Sorry, DH said I cannot have any ........YET. I will hold on to the Yet part as a cool maybe later on I can get some! [​IMG]

5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    If the chicks turned out looking blue with white only on the wings and/or chin.. no white anywhere else on body then they were Blue split for White, not Pied.

6. dixygirl

May 14, 2008
    Here is a picture of the father with one chick from last year. The white is mainly on the babies bellies.
    The father is proudly dancing around the 1st egg that is in front of him to our right.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  7. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yes blue split for white. She's showing a white flight feather, and possibly a white spot on chin too.. those are normal for blue split for whites.

Pieds show white on anywhere else.. back of neck, higher up on the wings, back or on the tail.

One very confusing issue is the fact that pure pieds can look like blue split whites- pure pieds look blue with a little white on the wings/chin.. but some will also show a little white elsewhere.. I had one pure pied that had a single white tail feather.

The pieds with patches and streaks of white basically are "1/2 pied 1/2 white' genetically.

However since we know the parentage of your birds- India Blue x White, no need to guess if they are split white or pure pieds..

8. dixygirl

May 14, 2008
    Thanks. The babies will be blue split for white then [​IMG]
    PM me for eggs.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  9. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    No prob.. pretty birds btw!

10. tangotango