peafowl hatched by a chicken hen

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by aprille218, Jul 3, 2011.

1. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    Hi
    I was wondering if it is possible for a chicken to sucessfully hatch peachicks. So far I'm 0 for 2 when I've tried this. They are fully developed, pip but never make it out of the shell. Should I give up on the chickens? Thanks
    Aprille

2. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    [email protected]218 :

Hi
    I was wondering if it is possible for a chicken to sucessfully hatch peachicks. So far I'm 0 for 2 when I've tried this. They are fully developed, pip but never make it out of the shell. Should I give up on the chickens? Thanks
    Aprille

It is perfectly possible, hens work very well in fact. Is it very dry where you live?​

3. xlboergoats

xlboergoats Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    Arp, Texas
    The only peachicks that we have hatched have been under chicken hens. We have taken all of them away before the hen leaves the nest so we can raise them by hand. I know of people who have left their peachicks to be raised by the chicken hens. There are also many breeders who start the pea eggs under chicken hens and then move them to an incubator later. It was really my intention to start mine under chickens and then move them to the incubator. I realized when it came time to move them that I did not have a tray that would hold peafowl eggs. I just left them under the chickens and they have hatched out fine.

Ernie Haire
    Arp, Texas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by