Peafowl Hatching question

Shabby Chic-Hens

My mind is like a Diamond; hard and sparkly
Premium Feather Member
Sep 6, 2022
Maine, United States, North America, Earth.
How much time should it take from pip to out of the shell, for a Peafowl?
For your info, I am NOT hatching peafowl. This is a story, and I do not want to be misleading the people who watch my channel, because most of them probably will not have poultry.
Thank you!

How much time should it take from pip to out of the shell, for a Peafowl?
For your info, I am NOT hatching peafowl. This is a story, and I do not want to be misleading the people who watch my channel, because most of them probably will not have poultry.
Thank you!
Average is up to 24 hours between each stage. So internal pip happens one day, external pip no more than 24 hours later, full zip no more than 24 hours after external pip. Anywhere in that time frame.

Sitting at the car dealership waiting for them to finish my maintenance work so thought I'd expand on that for you. 🙂

If I remember correctly, hatchings driven by oxygen deprivation. The lack of oxygen causes the muscles to expand and contract. So first step is the internal pip. Once that happens the chick receives oxygen again, the muscles calm and the chick rests. Then the oxygen starts to run short again, the muscles react and it results in the external pip. Then the chick rests again while the yolk finishes absorbing. I don't remember what drives the zip...I wouldn't think that stage is oxygen deprivation but it could still be. The cramped position might restrict the lungs? I can't remember on the zip stage. It's interesting reading though if you want to Google it.
In my experience, healthy hatches don't take longer than 24 hours between stages and there's always a rest period between each stage.
Hope your writing goes well 🙂

Sitting at the car dealership waiting for them to finish my maintenance work so thought I'd expand on that for you. 🙂

If I remember correctly, hatchings driven by oxygen deprivation. The lack of oxygen causes the muscles to expand and contract. So first step is the internal pip. Once that happens the chick receives oxygen again, the muscles calm and the chick rests. Then the oxygen starts to run short again, the muscles react and it results in the external pip. Then the chick rests again while the yolk finishes absorbing. I don't remember what drives the zip...I wouldn't think that stage is oxygen deprivation but it could still be. The cramped position might restrict the lungs? I can't remember on the zip stage. It's interesting reading though if you want to Google it.
In my experience, healthy hatches don't take longer than 24 hours between stages and there's always a rest period between each stage.
Hope your writing goes well 🙂
Ok. I’ll add that into the story

Back
Top Bottom