PEAFOWL MUTTS

deerman

Rest in Peace 1949-2012
11 Years
Aug 24, 2008
Southern Ohio
Just like to point out to newbe to peafowl.....peafowl split to another color or pattern are not "MUTT" those would be the spaldings in peafowl(don't breed true).....birds split to other colors or pattern are worth more really.

If you raise say poodles dogs.....having a white poodle carring the brown gene or split brown doesn't make it a mutt , because it still is a pure poodle...in this case able to produce puppies in two colors, not just all white.

Just don't be afraid to work with split birds, can save you dollars and time add a new color to another pattern.

Myself i would try adding more than one pattern at a time....like a BS silver pied that three patterns, breed to a bronze......yes chicks will look blue , but all split bronze, also all split BS , then the split whites ,pieds, white eyes, now with all these split chicks you could produce whites, bronze,bronze we, bronze bs, bronze bs we, bronze pieds........blues in these patterns too.....

if you start with a opal in place of the bronze......then those in the patterns with opal .

hope that shows how producing split birds can save you years in adding new colors in other patterns.

ONE THING GOOD RECORDS....Hint all my eggs are marked before leaving the breeding pen., seperated in hatcher, peachicks wing banded and recorded as they are remover from hatcher,

here to the beginning of a new hatching season

Last edited:
Arent spauldings really somewhere in the mix now anyway? How do you differiate true color mutation from spaudings being involved somewhere to get these colors and or patterns? Im assuming also spauldings are crosses of any IB x the greens.Is this true or not. Just trying to understand this a little more thanks.
smile.png

Maybe someone can explain it better. I think there is one India Blue with lots of color mutations oviously. One congo peafowl and one green peafowl(but the greens are broken down into 3 sub-species. Now as Paul Harvey used to say " Here's the rest of the story". Well Im waiting like you
lol.png
Edited to say Not to mention the greens and congos can have color mutations too. I dont know if even a DNA test could tell wether its a cross of a blue or green or a split mutt or whatever you would call any of them now. They say they they reconize something like over 200 colors. Thats why so much confusion.

Last edited:
I was using the word "mutts" because in my thought process,if you cannot identify 100% with acuracy the parentage of anything,,and all dictionary definitions refers to "mutts" as unknown parentage,the word fits my intentions.A pedigree adds value.Such a value could be added to peafowl if a new database was set up requiring DNA on every bird entered,,this would eliminate not knowing what genetics are in a given bird.The escapee jumping the fence for two days until the fence is repaired,or the swap meet seller who says they have a new color variety,,or someone who buys a bird from a seller who didn't keep accurate records,,could all be eliminated.

I wouldn't say a "pedigree" as such could be issued because so many birds are not all one specific color,,,rather a DNA marker system including certain "peaks" and percentages of recorded known birds already on record.

I would call it a "mutt" If say you crossed a India blue dad with a green mom and whatever baby came out of that pairing regardless of coloration. I would call it a "mutation if say both parents were greens and one popped out a different coloration. To be frank most dont care how they get the coloration be it a cross or mutation, They do of course have to keep track of all said colors to make this or that. Like I said earlier with up to 200 species and growing every year I find it hard to believe there is that many mutations with out crossing the pures also being added to the mix. I also posted and was wondering on another peacock thread if at this point you could even tell if you had a mix of IB and green since they are so closely related anyway and even moreso with all this mixing thats gone on for years with a DNA test . I would very much hope so.

Only what I would consider a mutt in peafowl would be having a bird where you have no idea of it's genetic background.
Yes often you can "see" some of what you have.

Buying for breeding purposes it is important to know what the birds genetics are.
It is frustrating to purchase peafowl and be told it is something it isn't.

Back
Top Bottom