Peafowl not eating.

Jul 4, 2020
I adopted a mated pair of blue peacocks 9 days ago. I have yet to see them drink water and the only thing i have seen them eat are blueberries. I was thinking they may just be adapting to their new environment and thats why they werent really eating but im beginning to worry. Any ideas as to why this is occurring? I picked up wormer from my vet yesterday but have not administered it yet. Was waiting to see if they will drink water and which style of waterer they prefer to drink from.

I adopted a mated pair of blue peacocks 9 days ago. I have yet to see them drink water and the only thing i have seen them eat are blueberries. I was thinking they may just be adapting to their new environment and thats why they werent really eating but im beginning to worry. Any ideas as to why this is occurring? I picked up wormer from my vet yesterday but have not administered it yet. Was waiting to see if they will drink water and which style of waterer they prefer to drink from.
Mated pair of peafowl*

Blueberries are full of fluids. Maybe they are getting enough from foraging. I would try to put their beaks into the water like baby chicks. If they drank from a different waterer, they might not know what to do. Hm
Animals would find water if they are thirsty. I wouldn’t worry if they look to be in good shape and behave well.

Thanks. This is our first time with peafowl and are just worried about them. We want them to be happy here. We are used to our chickens and guineas, which are like piranhas whenever you put food in with them. Lol

When we first got our adult peafowl they went on a hunger strike too. I just kept giving them different things until they finally ate. The person we bought them from was feeding just corn.😕 So I sprinkled corn on their gamebird food. I also gave them on different days: boiled egg whites, mealworms, finely chopped carrots in my food processor, raisens, greens, sunflower seeds. They went crazy over the carrots and it gave them some vitamin A. 😊

When we first got our adult peafowl they went on a hunger strike too. I just kept giving them different things until they finally ate. The person we bought them from was feeding just corn.😕 So I sprinkled corn on their gamebird food. I also gave them on different days: boiled egg whites, mealworms, finely chopped carrots in my food processor, raisens, greens, sunflower seeds. They went crazy over the carrots and it gave them some vitamin A. 😊
Thanks. So far we have tried gamebird feed, chicken feed, dry cat food, sunflower seeds, kale, lettuce, cauliflower, strawberries, watermelon, bananas, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries. They only thing they seem to be interested are the blueberries. They have been eating a carton a day but we would like for them to have variety. I guess we will just keep feeding blueberries and introducing new items until we can find out what they prefer. The seller said he acquired them from an old lady who was feeding them cat food but they haven't tried to eat any that we have put out for them.

Back
Top Bottom