Peafowl Poop - Normal and Abnormal - Lots of poop pictures

Five on, ten off, and five on is a good regiment to get all types of worms. The discolored poo could also be from a change of feed, perhaps she got into something that resulted in a dark stool. The hens do not look sick so a normal de-worming should take care of what is bothering them. It is not likely the hens have cocci unless they were stressed and it is still rare that a grown pea comes down with cocci.

You only have another day of worming so I would wait and give the toltrazuril between the worming treatments. It is the chicks that are in need of it so I wouldn't put it off any longer than you have to.

Antibiotics are good to have on hand, just make sure it is needed before giving it. It does more harm than good to give antibiotics as a preventative.
Thank you so much. Can you please recommend a good antibiotic to have on hand?

My vet likes Zactran as it stays in the system for five days and reduces the stress on the bird catching it every day to give injections. The old standby is Baytril and Tylan. Tylan 200 can not be beat for respiratory infections, and Baytril is great for bacterial infections.

The initial investment in Zactran is a bit high at around $200 for a 100ml bottle but compared to Baytril at a little over $100 per 100 ml it is a bit cheaper. Zactran is given at 0.60 ml per mature peahen whereas that same hen would need 1.0 to 1.50 ml. Tylan is the least expensive to buy but it is also given at the same rate as Baytril so they all even out in the end. The one caveat is whether you will actually use the 100 ml before it expires. If you are careful and always use a new sterile needle when drawing out of the bottle you can still use antibiotics well past the expiration date.

My vet likes Zactran as it stays in the system for five days and reduces the stress on the bird catching it every day to give injections. The old standby is Baytril and Tylan. Tylan 200 can not be beat for respiratory infections, and Baytril is great for bacterial infections.
Thank you so much for that and for all of your help. I've learned so much these last couple of days.

We still had diarrhea today but some normal poo as well and at least one with a dead worm. I'm hoping the worms are the only problem but I suppose I won't know until the treatment is finished. At least I have a strong plan now, thanks to your help.

The initial investment in Zactran is a bit high at around $200 for a 100ml bottle but compared to Baytril at a little over $100 per 100 ml it is a bit cheaper. Zactran is given at 0.60 ml per mature peahen whereas that same hen would need 1.0 to 1.50 ml. Tylan is the least expensive to buy but it is also given at the same rate as Baytril so they all even out in the end. The one caveat is whether you will actually use the 100 ml before it expires. If you are careful and always use a new sterile needle when drawing out of the bottle you can still use antibiotics well past the expiration date.
This is after 5 doses of Fenbendazole. There are still no other symptoms but I'm really worried. I'm still waiting for the Toltrazuril to arrive so will give that as soon as I have it.

Should I treat with anything else in the meantime? One of those antibiotics? Or anything else?

Attachments

• Runny Poo 23 Aug.jpg
    Runny Poo 23 Aug.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 9
My peahen poos are now mostly looking like this. They are often bigger but the consistency is like this. I have had a few more normal poos as well but the majority of them are like this. It might be hard to see but the urates are very liquid and look like a paint splat on the ground.
IMG_20210909_121247.jpg

For the last three days I have also found one dark caecal poo per day. I'm not sure if they're all from the same peahen but I assume they probably are. They have been eating a lot of hops that are flowering at the moment and growing through the mesh and we also cut a lot of nettles which they have been eating. Could that cause it or do these look concerning?
IMG_20210906_171648.jpg

IMG_20210909_100933.jpg

Ok so this entire thread is so gross!!! But damn so educational. Growing up we never (dewormed) our birds when I got Peabody I joined this group to learn how to care for her better etc. and one of the first things someone suggested I deworm her😮 didn’t even know we should deworm our birds. So I immediately researched about it as just because someone says it doesn’t mean you should do it without making sure they are correct. Of course they were but I also learned and was so thankful and dewormed her that week. This thread is amazing and love all the info.. love learning this stuff even if it’s 🤮 gross. . I think all new bird owners should be directed to this thread.

Back
Top Bottom