Peafowl Poop - Normal and Abnormal - Lots of poop pictures

Glad he is getting better. Since he is responding to the Baytril it is very likely he had a bacterial infection, possibly E. Coli. How many days did you give metronidazole?

Started the metronidazole 2 days before the baytril, which i added as he was continuing to go downhill and his respiration was climbing. I will be keeping him on both until he's had the full course of 5 days on each of them. I don't like stopping an antibiotic midcourse unless i'm getting an adverse reaction to it. He is tolerating the treatments well and is back to having a good appetite today, (finally)! Poops are looking better and better as well.

What did his poops look like before treatment?

Poops varied from just a small chalky splat to thick and, "egg yolky". Today he actually had some real feces (normal green) mixed with white, very small amounts but then he hasn't really eaten for 2 days prior to this. I've been giving him fluids by mouth until today, to keep him hydrated, as it's been hot and he wasn't taking in much, if any, on his own.

Has he passed any cecal poop yet?
normal_peafowl_cecal_poop.jpeg

Yes, but very small amounts from the ones i've seen so far. He has a mate, (whose had zero symptoms of anything amiss so far), and i've been separating them during the day so i can try to see exactly what he's doing. He ate quite well today so i'm hopeful i'll see something more substantial tomorrow.
I always breathe a sigh of relief when I see a normal cecal poop.

Back
Top Bottom