Peafowl Poop - Normal and Abnormal - Lots of poop pictures

Pics
Valbazen (albendazole) is usually sold as a cattle wormer, but can be used in poultry. Dose is once, then again in ten days.

-Kathy

I have yet to get the stuff we have been so busy! :th :th :th :th :th

But here is my 8 chickens see the hen in the back the black one.She has poo butt all the time & by far the worst.My other hens are pretty clean but still not as clean as I would like too see.I even cut some of their butt feathers back to try & help them but it kept persisting so that's why I ended up on this thread with the guidance of birdman55 so after im done worming & treating them for vent gleet I hope to see only fluffy butts!

That black hen is named Oreo she should have been culled at her hatch due to her crooked beak but I kept her around & she is the weakest link but she is a good layer & such a sweety I just won't breed her.She is a good alarm too every time I walk up to her i pet her & she screams so loud :rolleyes: she isn't scared though otherwise she wouldn't have let me pet her :lol: she is quite a loud one!

I went to Tractor Supply & asked for Valbazen after looking forever for it(i even got on my phone & reread the label you told me while i was their) & they didn't carry it but they did carry Goat Safeguard so i got 2 bottles 100 mg each & they cost $22.99 each just so everyone knows what to expect if they need to get some.I got 2,3ml syringes they also didnt carry 1ml syringes & then i got some epsom salt & olive oil to treat for vent gleet cause im pretty sure they have that as well & giving them a warm epsom salt bath wont hurt anyhow.

TSC did not have it when I looked either so I checked at my vet. They normally order what I need for a fair price when I need it. Safeguard as you found out, is around .23 cents per ml in the small bottles, but when you buy the 1000 ml bottle it costs around .12 cents per ml.

They quoted me Valbazen at .09 cents per ml for a 1000 ml bottle, which sounds like a pretty good deal until you figure out how much of it you can use before the expiration date. I could possibly use 350 ml in a years time and waste over 600 ml. The advantage of working with a country vet is that she will order the large volume bottle, sell you only as much as you need and pass the savings on to her customers.

Shop around and build a good relationship with your local vet.

You should have a 3ml syringe and a 1ml syringe, but don't sweat it if you can't find the 1ml one. :D  A good wormer for you might be Valbazen. It's about $40 bucks, but will last a long time. The 125ml bottle of Safeguard is cheaper ($20), but you'll need to use so much more that it will cost you more in the long run. 

To worm a twenty pound goose with Safeguard you need about 5ml for five days, that's a total of 25ml, but Valbazen you would only need 1.6ml once and then again in ten days. If you can swing it, have your parents buy you a bottle of Valbazen.

-Kathy

Ok I am FINALLY going to start worming this weekend I was out of town for a few days & of course my chicks decided that's when they wanted to hatch early! Luckily my brother was watching them for me.Anyways so by what you posted there for every 5 pounds I give 1 ml of Goat Safeguard.That is going to be a really small amount for my tiny hen 0_0 Sorry I know I'm a pain I just have been so busy wish schoolwork,going out of town,incubator,etc.My incubator journey was planned poorly but I got a 100% hatch rate like the last time so :celebrate

Really small birds, like my 250 gram micro-bantams, should be weighed in grams and dosed accordingly.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom