Peafowl Poop - Normal and Abnormal - Lots of poop pictures

Pics
Can you get a clear shot of the analysis and ingredients for me?

-Kathy

click on the photo and then click on the original it is a large photo, i did not know you never knew how to do this, Sorry i will crop it for you if it still is not big enough

Sorry, I was stuck on stupid.

-Kathy

So zoos are feeding peafowl feed with 29% protein? Isn't this too much?!

ZAZ,the taste of the wild feed looks good, i could see it has sweet potato which is the richest feed in carotene as i read, i started feeding my green and spalding peachicks sweet potatoes this week to see if it will work giving them the nice yellow color on their faces.

1. Its sold as zoo food, that doesn't necessarily mean that's what zoos feed.
2. Its recommended to be fed as 1/8 of their diet., i.e. as a supplement.

Last edited:
It may be fed as a maintenance feed , i feed whole grain with it and things i grow , i will continue to feed it there is no guess work with it, my peafowl prefer it and i can clearly see the difference in the birds and after reading about soy i belive the peafowl are much better without it especially the birds in the pen that have no choice but to eat what i give them, I no longer worry about scrambling around to find things to feed them without soy mixing high dollar cat food to try to give them a meat source

As far as the protein source they are not eating more than they need they are eating what they crave, I have never had an issue with legs here other than some late assisted hatch issues that caused some straddle legs and i had been feeding scrambled eggs all the time before this change and still do when i have extras , the twisted tibas are not so much caused from high protein IMO but lack of of certain things in their diet and their mommas diet before the eggs hit the nest
wink.png

I will continue to feed it here as i see it is working very well for them and my goal was to eliminate soy from their diet and this has allowed me to do this
wink.png
It is not debatable to me i see the results

I just wanted to suggest this to others that might want to try something that works for me here , the greens are my first ever birds that will have to be kept penned unless i can train them to go into the pens during breeding season LOL cause if they take to the trees in the winter time and it gets below freezing they could lose their toes
sad.png

So zoos are feeding peafowl feed with 29% protein? Isn't this too much?!

ZAZ,the taste of the wild feed looks good, i could see it has sweet potato which is the richest feed in carotene as i read, i started feeding my green and spalding peachicks sweet potatoes this week to see if it will work giving them the nice yellow color on their faces.
Sweet potatos are a good starch for them and it offers them many good things also... mine will kill you for them but sometimes my vines get drowned and i loose them all here
sad.png

It may be fed as a maintenance feed , i feed whole grain with it and things i grow , i will continue to feed it there is no guess work with it, my peafowl prefer it and i can clearly see the difference in the birds and after reading about soy i belive the peafowl are much better without it especially the birds in the pen that have no choice but to eat what i give them, I no longer worry about scrambling around to find things to feed them without soy mixing high dollar cat food to try to give them a meat source

As far as the protein source they are not eating more than they need they are eating what they crave, I have never had an issue with legs here other than some late assisted hatch issues that caused some straddle legs and i had been feeding scrambled eggs all the time before this change and still do when i have extras , the twisted tibas are not so much caused from high protein IMO but lack of of certain things in their diet and their mommas diet before the eggs hit the nest
wink.png

I will continue to feed it here as i see it is working very well for them and my goal was to eliminate soy from their diet and this has allowed me to do this
wink.png
It is not debatable to me i see the results

I just wanted to suggest this to others that might want to try something that works for me here , the greens are my first ever birds that will have to be kept penned unless i can train them to go into the pens during breeding season LOL cause if they take to the trees in the winter time and it gets below freezing they could lose their toes
sad.png

Your birds are looking good.
I worry about nutrition for my penned peas for the same reason. The constant recalls on commercial feeds also worries me. I'm old enough to remember the PBB problem in the 70's. I was at MSU when they were doing research on feeding commercial flocks of poultry their own (and cattle) manure. I love the easiness of feeding game bird feed but am afraid to make it my birds only choice and can't help but notice that. when given the choice, most of my birds pick the simple ingredient fermented feed I also give them. They really prefer the game bird as bedding.

Back
Top Bottom