1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peafowl Prices

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Muscovies, Dec 31, 2010.

1. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Have you tried speaking with any of them via phone insted of e-mails? i know Sid with Texaspeafowl only disclosed prices with me over the phone not e-mails.

IMO peafowl cost all different prices , depends on color, area and demand,
    Last year you asked much more for your peas if i remember right and didn't you also ask different prices for different colors also?

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

So true. A lot of factors will determine price.

3. frenchblackcopper

frenchblackcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    Wish I had that problem of selling peas. Still building the flock this year starting with Peach,White,and hopefully those elusive Violetta's.

4. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Wished i could keep all mine, i love them so.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. autumnmfisher

autumnmfisher Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    North East, PA
    wow zaz, if my husband hadn't stopped me that's how our house would look too :) he's really worried what I'm going to do with the eggs we have in the incubator, haha.

6. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    They went as fast as i listed them last year, i wanted to raise up some trios to sell this year and sell eggs also, won't be doing much hatching unless i sell all the trios first [​IMG] I have 7 sets to sell which i believe will be gone as soon as i list them, already have folks waiting on eggs from last year so hopefully i can keep up with the egg hunt for 3 months.

7. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    I waited too long to sell mine, so now I'm stuck trying to sell yearlings, and more than half are male!

-Kathy

8. frenchblackcopper

frenchblackcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    I personally don't mind keeping and feeding ours until they are older. one reason is to determine sex and another in the case of bssp and pieds is to see what the males train will look like. I'm working now on who goes into what breeding pens for this year and now have decided some males I really won't need now or next year. Opal B/S and a BSSP male are two birds that are going on the bye-bye list. Plus 3 IB males. Really looked closely tonight at the 12 hens we kept back from our bssp hens two years ago and discovered two of them are pieds. Two were white hens leaving us with 8 bssp hens to begin using this spring.

9. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]
    Have you thought about dressing some out and try to sell the meat at least they would go to good use before they get to old and you may be able to recoup some moneys, i got 45 each for my first dressed pea and they sell for way, way, way more than that online plus i have a repeat customer that is passing the word around .
    You could build a big bachelor pen and just sell the feathers every year, there is money to be made with feathers..

10. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017 Premium Member

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    I can't speak for Kathy, but I chose to raise Peas specifically because there isn't much demand for their meat, and their feathers can be obtained without killing them. I am not a vegetarian, but I am simply not able to eat something I have raised or raise something to be eaten. I am thrilled that I can sell the feathers, eggs and chicks and cover the cost of having them as well as make a little profit. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by