peafowl staying home

Chirping
Dec 3, 2015
If peafowl are raised from chicks around the house will they learn to stay home and then roost in the coop at night? Also can you clip peafowl wings?
Thanks

If peafowl are raised from chicks around the house will they learn to stay home and then roost in the coop at night? Also can you clip peafowl wings?
Thanks

They'll stick around I'm sure. If they are free range I would advise not clipping their wings. Clipping their wings has a couple down falls. First peafowl's main defense is flight. They use it to fly up high to roost to keep away from predators. Second peafowl with clipped wings and little children that don't know better tend not to go so well.

India blue species will hang around for sure, green species not so much unless crossed with blue and sometimes they will still roam. As for wing clipping, Id bet they can still jump at least 6-8 feet with clipped wings so a fence wont hold them. Hope this helps.

Are you planning to free range your peas? Peas are very curious and will roam very far if something interests them. If you are near any busy roads or have any unfriendly neighbors, this may be bad for the peas. Judging from my own experiences only, I don't think you can count on them staying near your house, or on being able to get them to come into a coop at night. They love to sleep high in the trees if at all possible!

Well it depends i will either have them in a run or if my dog doesnt bother them which im not sure about then i will let them free range since i will be raising them from day old chicks if i can find some. And no we do not live by any roads we live in the country have have only one neighbor within a mile distance.

It sounds like you are in a good situation for free ranging!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom