peafowl worming schedule?

I just lost peahen from whip worms. Vet tried
To save her but it was to late. I will be worming and before they show signs of sickness. He recommended ivomectin
Sorry for your loss. Studies show that ivermectin has lost it's efficacy treating worms in poultry. Email this to your vet and ask how much Safeguard (fenbendazole) you should give.

Quote:
Abstract

To evaluate the use of ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic, 29 White Leghorn hens naturally infected with Ascaridia spp., Heterakis spp. and Capillaria spp. were treated with 0.2, 2 or 6 mg/kg intramuscularly or 0.2 or 0.8 mg/kg orally. Faecal samples were collected before treatment and at autopsy, 2, 6, or 16 days after treatment, when the intestines were also examined for helminths. None of the treatments gave satisfactory anthelmintic results.

-Kathy

Hi, I have a male peacock 3years old, he was fine until 2days ago, his mutes are very runny/watery he looks very listless, yet he is eating but not very much at the moment, he has never been wormed, could worms be the cause, also his crop looks quite large, I can walk right up to him, usually he will keep his distance, quite worried.
Any advice will be appreciated.:(

Hi, I have a male peacock 3years old, he was fine until 2days ago, his mutes are very runny/watery he looks very listless, yet he is eating but not very much at the moment, he has never been wormed, could worms be the cause, also his crop looks quite large, I can walk right up to him, usually he will keep his distance, quite worried.
Any advice will be appreciated.:(

Can you take him to a vet?

-Kathy

If taking the bird to the vet is not an option at least take a stool sample for a fecal float examination. If the bird has parasites the exam will tell you which kind and what you need to treat for. At that point you can look at what meds are appropriate.

If you have Safeguard for goats on hand give three ml orally once per day for five days. By orally I mean administering it by syringe, without needle, down the left side of the mouth as you are looking at the bird. NOT down the hole behind the tongue!

One of the lessons I have learned the hard way is that worms can be the root of the problem and the secondary infections are the outward signs that are more easily seen. Runny noses, coughing, sneezing, watery and crusted eyes, swelling of the face and throat are all signs of an infection but without knowing if it is secondary and treating with antibiotics still leaves the main cause untreated.

Hi, thanks, I have started with safeguard, and taking sample to vets,
cheers.
big_smile.png

Let us know the fee for the exam, I pay $15 plus tax, but others here are paying as much as $60. Just curious, and BTW where are you located? It is always best to finish filling out your profile so you can get the best info available.

Hi, thanks, I have started with safeguard, and taking sample to vets,
cheers.
big_smile.png
thumbsup.gif
great start
you location can help us help you in case you need another pea or anything else that may arise that may pertain to your location like the weather for instant, you don't have to put the exact town just the general area like i put southeast Texas
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom