peafowl worming schedule?

hvnsnt3388

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 9, 2011
I have horses and we worm for certain worms during certain times of the year with certain wormers. I have searched and cannot find a definitive worming schedule for peafowl/pheasants.

There seems to be alot of different discussion on what, when and how but nothing set forth to answer all at one time.

After reading the different threads, I am more confused than when I started.

When do you start your worming program? What do you use and when do you use it? Are their special circumstances ( I read that the typical wormers do not treat cap worms but did not see what is used to treat cap worms)?

Maybe even info on when, where and what for different regions would be helpful.

Do fowl get tapeworms? UGHHHHH!

I think the reason that there isn't a schedule or one certain answer is because everyone likes to do it differently. Some people worm bi-yearly, some 3-4 times a year, some people use the same wormer, some people rotate them...

As for when, start them after you've set them on real ground because that is when they start to pick them up. Certainly if you notice an infestation, you would worm them, but if not I don't think there are set times of years for certain worms (though they are probably worse in the summer). I think most people worm at least in spring and fall.

Yes, they can get tapeworms.

I know people use safeguard for goats and ivomectin (I think this one's for cattle) as two of the possible wormers.

Thats the same way it can be in the horse world. They have a recommended worming schedule. You just modify it to meet your needs. So many factors that have to be considered when you adopt a worming schedule. Work load on the pasture, number of horses, time on each pasture, etc.....

So, the last time I wormed it was with wazine. I have been told it is not a broad spectrum and should not be used as the sole wormer.

I have plenty of paste wormers.....I buy for the year for the horses. Can the paste be used accurately? Which one of the paste wormers are safe to use? some of the pastes/gels can be tricky to use, quest is one that has to be administered accurately. Its highly effective but is not for a novice. You must know your horses weights!

I like the idea of using safeguard/invermec pour on. I also read about panacur. Is panacur a better choice? Will it cover capillary worms? Putting in their water is very simple. Do you make new water everyday or leave the water for 3 days until they finish it? I am not comfortable with drenching it or injecting it.

Are tapeworms a typical worming concern? Ivermec nor safeguard address tapeworms in horses, i assume that this is correct in bird because it is not a species issue but a ingredient that is not present in either brands.....is there a wormer that is needed for the removal of tapeworms if your birds have them? How do you know if they have them?

I need to worm them now since the wazine isnt effective against most parasites.

I may need to post on the pheasant site also but just in case someone know, I'm going to ask it in this thread also. Can pheasants, chickens geese and mandarin ducks use the same type of worming schedule as the peacocks?

I would imagine the pastes would not be a good idea, mostly because you can't get them to just eat it like you might be able to for horses (all the horses I know will lick your hands clean of anything remotely tasty). You'd most likely have to give it as an oral injection and peafowl are super amazingly good at flinging stuff out of their mouths. And that is not counting the trouble of catching them without hurting them to do it. If your birds are fairly tame this might not be an issue (mine come right up and let me give them an injection between their shoulders without a fight) but if your birds are not, it will end in a hassle- getting ones you can put in the water are much better.

Wazine, if I recall, is only used for one sort of worm... I think it's just a roundworm treatment.

When worming, do you make fresh water everyday for the 3 days that the wormer is added? Or is it until the water is used up and make new water with the wormer added again until the 3rd day?

Quote:
Change water everyday.

This is what we do, Sept, Oct (whenever breeding season is over)round #1 (Shots) Ivomec Plus then round #2, 1 month later Safe Guard for Goats for 3 days this should hold them through the winter, then just before breeding season around 1st of March we repeat, sometimes you may have to worm through the year if so we use the Safe Guard.

I don't like wazine for peafowl.

Ricky

Last edited:
Why are you worming them, are they sick? I never wormed mine and they are active and healthy. I'd imagine if you had them crowded in a pen then worming would be important but under normal circumstances it's not mandatory that they be wormed. Be careful that you don't overdose them.

We have had a very, very dry summer (20 inch deficit). In the past week we have had ALOT of rain. When I was in the pens the other day, I saw a few grubs and an earthworm. And yes, they are penned. My neighbors tried to steal one when we first got Peafowl and they have been penned every since.

I do have a hen that is off her feed and am going to start her on tylan. Our breeding season is over...males have dropped 80% of their train.

Thank you for the info!!

Quote:
Most people do as a preventative measure, especially if they can worm free-range birds. Worms are easy to pick up from the bugs they eat outdoors, and some worms can become quickly fatal (like blackhead).

Back
Top Bottom