Peahen attacking her 3 month old chicks!

Steph T

Hatching
Aug 5, 2017
Hi, I need some advice. I keep a mixture of birds and poultry, free range at home.
My peahen hatched 3 chicks and has been an amazing mother, taking excellent care of them until the last couple of days.
One chick seemed a bit subdued and the next day the hen started to distance herself from them.
Now she is chasing and attacking them. Can anyone help me deal with this sudden change in behaviour?
They have total freedom to wander in a rural environment and in all I have 8 peafowl.

Welcome to BYC, we are so glad you joined us. :yesss:
I am not familiar with peafowl, you may want to check in the peafowl thread.
This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Hi there, we have a peahen " Mommy" she currently has 1 chick. The first time she successfully hatched 5 chicks, she turned against 1 female ? She HATED that baby !! The rest slept with her etc. But we had to separate that one ! It would be on 1 side crying for her and she would be doing body slam's against the fence trying to beat her up ??? Separate them so the baby doesn't get hurt, mom's not going to change her mind ,! Good luck !

Hi there we have the same problem 2 days ago mama hen left 5 week old chicks to go their own way. She’d been a brillient first time mum. But today she’s been actively chasing and bullying pecking her chicks. She is also trying to get back into the flock. But the main hen is giving her a hard time by attacking her.
Is she doing this because the flock is rejecting her??
When is this fighting going to stop
Any advice will be welcome.

Back
Top Bottom