Peahen finally laying, now I am flipping out

I cant remember how long you are supposed to wait before picking up eggs so they harden up ?, I though I read an hour ? My poor pea hen is feeling very poorly and acting sick like and has now dropped an egg two days in a row, she seems to be doing better but still is shaky and unstable on her feet

Pea eggs like most fowl eggs are hard prior to being laid meaning= no wait time. Pea eggs are pretty durable and can survive a pretty high fall from a perch as long as no hard objects are hit on the way down. If someone has briefed you about a wait time to harden, they are woefully incorrect,
1f44d-1f3fb.png

Gerald Barker

Cooler is better if you have a basement or a cooler room I would store them there. Also if you have a broody chicken hen you will have better results if you let the hen set the eggs for a week or two before putting in the incubator.
I appreciate this feedback. I didn't see this before for some reason.
Is there any known reason the eggs do est when under a broody for 1-2 weeks? Or is it a matter of proof by trials and error?
Also, is there any reason a broody should Not be allowed to hatch a peafowl egg?

Is there any known reason the eggs do est when under a broody for 1-2 weeks? Or is it a matter of proof by trials and error?
Also, is there any reason a broody should Not be allowed to hatch a peafowl egg?

I am not sure, but it has something to do with the oils from the hens skin.

@KsKingBee touched on an important issue that is not well understood. We try our best to let a broody gamehen set the eggs for a minimum of 14 days prior to being moved to a machine. Peafowl and other ornamental pheasants have proven to be difficult to hatch start to finish in a machine there are several theories as to why ie... humidity, temp, air flow etc... I was always taught that it is because of the natural oils from a brood hen that helps to seal the egg and shield it from bacteria. I have also thought it was just a wives tale but, I must admit that we have had a lower hatch rate when we break the 14 day rule. I will throw this into consideration, it could be that the older machines that were available back in the day were not sufficient for hatching peafowl and maybe todays machines such as Brinsea are technologically fit and we can chalk the broody hen method as old school. I will admit that every serious breeder that I have met that uses a Brinsea have swore by it. Im still using Mother nature for as long as I can until I decide to make that step to the next level. I will be at KsKinbees homestead later this year and I will use his Brinsea knowledge as an advantage for future operations,
1f44d-1f3fb.png

Gerald Barker

@KsKingBee touched on an important issue that is not well understood. We try our best to let a broody gamehen set the eggs for a minimum of 14 days prior to being moved to a machine. Peafowl and other ornamental pheasants have proven to be difficult to hatch start to finish in a machine there are several theories as to why ie... humidity, temp, air flow etc... I was always taught that it is because of the natural oils from a brood hen that helps to seal the egg and shield it from bacteria. I have also thought it was just a wives tale but, I must admit that we have had a lower hatch rate when we break the 14 day rule. I will throw this into consideration, it could be that the older machines that were available back in the day were not sufficient for hatching peafowl and maybe todays machines such as Brinsea are technologically fit and we can chalk the broody hen method as old school. I will admit that every serious breeder that I have met that uses a Brinsea have swore by it. Im still using Mother nature for as long as I can until I decide to make that step to the next level. I will be at KsKinbees homestead later this year and I will use his Brinsea knowledge as an advantage for future operations,
1f44d-1f3fb.png

Gerald Barker
WoW!This is awesome information!

I may complicate the question a bit more...
My friend who has the peas could let her hens brood the eggs for the 14 day period. However, we'd then have to move the eggs from beneath her hen to my house! It's only the equivilant of 4-5 streets away, but it's on very poorly kept dirt roads .I'm not sure if this is over-worrying or a real concern but I'd be worried about the trip (instead of a gentle and careful walk from the yard to the inside of a house.
Question:
is it only gamebirds that have the quality of enough oils to help this aspect of egg protection?
I ask bcs I have chickens--and chickens only--that can be very broody. If the timing was right (this week for example I've had 2 pairs of hens brood together in one nest per pair and another single brooder in her own nest) I could set the eggs under broody chicken hens.
Would that work closely enough Or would it be worth the risk of transporting eggs between our houses?
Another idea came to me while typing this--it's close enough to walk, maybe 10 minutes. We could place the eggs that have been under her peahens (if they're willing) and carry them carefully in egg crates with styro stuffing. Would this be preferable?
Just FYI, I'd be using a Dickey cabinet incubator that I'm picking up in 3-4 weeks.

I feel like the naughty kid at school! Can't I do anything simply? (LOL)

Now the questions only increase? What to do with the egg if the hen wont sit on it? No others birds all pea fowl, the male went towards the egg in a manner more of search and destroy so I stopped him and picked up the egg. A friend was supposed to be incubating the eggs and has chickens however he has disappeared. Any ideas on how to get her to sit on it or wait till she has another, she never made a nest unlike the first hen who did make a nest but the shells were too soft? I supposed I should order an incubator

tonight unless any has some ideas?

Back
Top Bottom