Peahen gasping

Highwayman

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 16, 2017
MB Canada
I have a 3 year old peahen that got out of the barn and spent a few nights up in the top of a tree in extremely cold Canadian temps. She back in the barn but now she is gasping. This has been going on for about 3 weeks. I think she has a respiratory infection. No swelling around her sinuses but gasping and sneezing. She's eating and drinking but spends lots of time with her head tucked into her wing. What do you guys suggest I do?

I have a 3 year old peahen that got out of the barn and spent a few nights up in the top of a tree in extremely cold Canadian temps. She back in the barn but now she is gasping. This has been going on for about 3 weeks. I think she has a respiratory infection. No swelling around her sinuses but gasping and sneezing. She's eating and drinking but spends lots of time with her head tucked into her wing. What do you guys suggest I do?

A one ml injection of Tylan 200 just under the skin in the breast would work better as it stays in the system longer. Once might do it, twice for good measure one day aprat.

When my peaboy had pneumonia, in addition to giving him medication, the vet stressed that it was crucial for him to be somewhere inside and warm to help him recover.
Can you bring her inside somewhere?

I gave her a 1ml injection of Tylan 200 yesterday. I ended up having to order it online so it took awhile to get here. I'm hoping she'll start getting better now. She is mixed in with chickens. Is there a chance it could be gape worm? Where does gape worm come from?

I gave her a 1ml injection of Tylan 200 yesterday. I ended up having to order it online so it took awhile to get here. I'm hoping she'll start getting better now. She is mixed in with chickens. Is there a chance it could be gape worm? Where does gape worm come from?

Peas can live with a low level of worms and cocci in their systems. Then when a stress is put on their system that low level of parasites or cocci can bloom and infection will set in looking like a respiratory or sinus infection.

In your case I think your bird has a touch of a cold and a shot or two will bring it around, I have been seeing a little of this myself this winter. If that does not bring the bird around you should have a fecal float done and see what you need to treat for.

If you want to check for gapeworms put a Q-Tip about 3/4 inch down the windpipe, the hole right behind the tongue, and twist it as you bring it out. They will look like short pieces of red thread.

Update. It's been a week since I gave her her first shot 1ml of Tylan 200. I gave her a booster of another 1 ml a few days later. She now has almost completely stopped gasping. She is much more active and is back up in the roost for night. She still is sneezing but there is no swelling on her face. Thanks for your advice everybody. I hope she keeps getting better. Would it hurt to give her another injection ?

Update. It's been a week since I gave her her first shot 1ml of Tylan 200. I gave her a booster of another 1 ml a few days later. She now has almost completely stopped gasping. She is much more active and is back up in the roost for night. She still is sneezing but there is no swelling on her face. Thanks for your advice everybody. I hope she keeps getting better. Would it hurt to give her another injection ?

To be 100% honest with you, no offense is intended but, just like in humans antibiotics need to be administered on a timeline meaning, they are intended to be used against bacterial infections and due to bacterias constant adaptation to AB's by, skipping days you could possibly make the situation worse. From my personal experience, tylan 200 is most effective when given 3-5 days straight with no breaks in between. If one administers the AB sporadically, it can build the bacterias immunity to Tylan and create a situation to where you are chasing illnesses within your flock. My suggestion is, if she looks better and you are confident, then you might have it beat but, if she still displays illness you should administer daily for 5 full days and boost her immune system with fruits and vitamins in the water. Again, this my personal observations no offense is intended. Please keep us posted,
1f44d-1f3fb.png

Gerald Barker

Ps: i pm'ed you our FB page which has peafowl info as well as meds.

Back
Top Bottom