Peahen Not Laying Eggs

LoveMyBirds374

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 7, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
I had my peacock and peahen for less than a year. The former owners said the peahen had laid a few eggs 2 years ago. I adopted them this past Fall. I built a large enclosure, approximately 10' x 10' x 25', and placed them inside.

For the past several weeks, Azul, my peacock, has been displaying his feathers and making his mating call. I've actually seen them mate three times. But, there are no eggs.

Any idea what's going on?
roll.png

If the hen laid two years ago and not last year then the hen may be a little too old and done laying on any consistent basis. She may be a great hen for him, but just not a breeding one. Good luck.

Well, I know for sure she laid eggs 2 years ago. As for last year, she was loose, so she could have laid some somewhere. Who knows?

So, given both reply posts, peahens only lay eggs in their first few years? Is there anyway to tell how old a hen is?

Thanks so much for your help, guys! I really appreciate it.

I said get a younger peahen 2-3 because you will have plenty of years with her laying before she doesn't lay anymore...I am not sure how old exactly it is when they stop laying.

Not sure where you are located , not all northern peahens have started to lay yet, give her only a good layer feed 20%. Wait a few weeks my guess she should lay soon.

Quote:
I'm in Northern MN. My turkeys have been laying for about 3 weeks, my chickens for about 2 months. My peacock just started his mating calls and I haven't seen them mate yet, but I am gone most days from 7am till 5pm so they may be mating now and I'm missing it. I have not gotten any eggs yet and this is from a 3 year old peacock with a 3 year old hen. Be patient.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom