Peahen Not Laying Eggs

It figures after I put my post out there that my peahen finally laid some eggs. There were 2 out there this afternoon, and 1 more by this evening.

I'm debating on removing them (so she'll lay more than the average) and trying to incubate. But, I've never used an incubator and I'll have to buy one.

Any thoughts? How long to peahen eggs incubate?

I'm in the Shenandoah Valley area.

My hen laid 3 eggs as of yesterday, but nothing new today. Is that typical? I guess I'm paranoid about whether or not she'll set on them.

Now, when you say "weird", what was she doing? I'm a first time peahen owner and mine will be two years old in July.
She has been acting weird, not much interest in food or water and she keeps going to the same corner and either just standing there or laying down. She was sick last week, or so I thought, so I wormed her and put her on some meds. She was back to her normal self for two days and now acting weird again. Think she might be getting ready to lay?

Now, when you say "weird", what was she doing? I'm a first time peahen owner and mine will be two years old in July.
She has been acting weird, not much interest in food or water and she keeps going to the same corner and either just standing there or laying down. She was sick last week, or so I thought, so I wormed her and put her on some meds. She was back to her normal self for two days and now acting weird again. Think she might be getting ready to lay?
Just so you know this thread hasn't been active since 2011.

Please take a couple pictures of her standing in the corner and post them. I don't want to scare you, but we are having a lot of egg bound hens this year, I am dealing with one myself and I'd like to see how she looks. A hen that needs to lay has a specific look and posture.

This stance is pretty normal for her. She has been shaking/trembling a lot but I think that may be due to a lack of water/nutrients....

This stance is pretty normal for her. She has been shaking/trembling a lot but I think that may be due to a lack of water/nutrients....

She does not look like she needs to lay an egg in these photos.

This is what mine look like prior to laying

Note the hanging wings.

Oh, no, she hasn't been hanging her wings THAT low. She has one lazy wing that she seems to let hang lower than the other when she's relaxed but once again, that's normal for her too....

Back
Top Bottom