Peahen or Peacock

I trust you know more on peach peafowl than I do it's just that when I was researching mutations in peafowl a color mutation is when the colors are changed but the pattern remains the same while pattern mutation is when patterns are changed. Which photos of adult peach peafowl I've seen seem like they are a color mutation and some people say they are but I don't know how they came to be. This is the photo of the peach peafowl I found. I wish it would give me a better shot of the wing feathers. I can kind of see it but yet I can't but from what I can see it looks as if the dark and light on the 2 peafowl the male has a brighter color than the female does. The way I discovered on how to sex peachicks at a very young age or any age is by the primary wing feathers. Except when it's white primary wing feathers that doesn't work so well.
This photo shows Spalding peach, I've seen these ones before, they come from SE Asia somewhere. You can tell by the head on the hen. Being Spalding, the colours will be much more intense. You are correct that colour mutation is the change in only the colour, however there are many new "colour mutations" out there that are merely combinations of existing colours, therefore not mutations. The UPA needs to come up with a solution to this nomenclature/genetics information so as to clarify the existence of these new colours.

Oh, okay. Oh wow now that I look at the peahens head you can see the yellow stripe on the face like a green or Spalding. Can't believe I didn't notice that!

Back
Top Bottom