peahen

phantom1

Songster
6 Years
5 Years
Mar 26, 2015
hi we were wanting to know how long do peahens they lay for before they stop laying or lay less

Generally they will lay a clutch of six to ten eggs then take a break if you keep removing them or they will set the nest.

Hens will lay about six to ten eggs their first year then around 24 the next and up to 40 per year for a few years. Depending on nutrition and environment they can lay for many years but normally start slowing down at around eight years. Some will lay into their teens and some will quit much sooner.

awesome we were looking at buying a 7 yr old pair for 400.00 and wasn't sure if the peahen could lay much longer. Do you know the ratio of eggs that can hatch out of a clutch? also do you sell baby peachicks and if you do how much do you sell them for. Also do you ship to Colorado, I see you live in kansas

I sell baby chicks for $50 and adults for $75, it is different in every area, some places you can get alot more! Since your adults are going to cost 200 each (!!!) i would think you could try selling chicks for $100. If they don't sell you can always lower the price. Im in new mexico, most in my state sell at my prices or a little higher. Ive never seen adults more than 150 each tho. Especially an aging pair like you are getting...

hi i decided to wait and see if anyone could help me. i thought that they were a little old ie like chickens. What colors do you have and do you ship to Colorado? I live close to there.

Plain IB's are fairly cheap especially if you find them locally, the higher priced birds are from breeders that are able to ship nationally. We ship all over the lower 48 states and to PR but we don't raise IB's intentionally although we do make a few IBWE, IBSP, and IBBSSP as by-products. We concentrate on the more rare colors and patterns. Pics and price lists can be seen on our FB page Spring Creek peafowl.

Hens have a better hatch rate than incubators and will normally average around 80% under the best of conditions. The hatch rate that large breeders who have been raising peas for a good number of years are extremely happy to get 45 to 50% in incubators. When I have posted this in the past it is usually followed by the 'Well I get 100% hatch rate...' Maybe they do and maybe they don't, I only know what I and the largest breeders in the US have shared with each other.

Plain IB's are fairly cheap especially if you find them locally, the higher priced birds are from breeders that are able to ship nationally. We ship all over the lower 48 states and to PR but we don't raise IB's intentionally although we do make a few IBWE, IBSP, and IBBSSP as by-products. We concentrate on the more rare colors and patterns. Pics and price lists can be seen on our FB page Spring Creek peafowl.

Hens have a better hatch rate than incubators and will normally average around 80% under the best of conditions. The hatch rate that large breeders who have been raising peas for a good number of years are extremely happy to get 45 to 50% in incubators. When I have posted this in the past it is usually followed by the 'Well I get 100% hatch rate...' Maybe they do and maybe they don't, I only know what I and the largest breeders in the US have shared with each other.
I've only tried incubating our pea eggs once, last year, i set 4 i found onto of a stack of hay in the barn, and only hatched one, a boy of course! The only reason i was trying to incubate is because we are down to 4 hens And about 10 males! We had about 15 of each sex only 7 years ago, or more maybe. We have really had an increase in predators where we are. I need to bring in some new blood anyway, we've had this group for 40 years, started out from a set my grandparents got for an aniversary gift. It ebbs and flows how many we have roaming our farm. About 15 or 20 years ago we had alot and a small group splintered off and moved into town, they wandered about 2 miles up the ditches from us and settled in these peoples litlle 5 acres close to the highschool. We think they stopped there becsuse they had free range chickens so had feed. The neighbors have loved having them since though haha! And our zoo in alamo we donated a group of peacocks to when their stock got low. (My mom used to work there)

They are closed sundays but on this site is where you can sometimes find peacocks in n.m. sometimes Craigslist too. I think this site you can actually set for other states too but am not sure...
http://holloman.bookoo.com/sunday.jsp;jsessionid=B86C1D31903B3EB7A5CA3CED207C1081

Back
Top Bottom