peanut butter and chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ams4776, Apr 19, 2011.

1. ams4776

ams4776 Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure if a bit of peanut butter would be good or not. Im overstocked on the stuff lol

2. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:I would think it would be good protein in moderation, but I'm not sure if it would be too thick to eat on its own? Maybe mix a little with something else, like oatmeal or yogurt.

3. ams4776

Ive seen my dog have trouble with peanut butter so wasnt sure if chickens would get to sticky. But with oatmeal may work great. Ill try it tm and see how it goes

4. magoochie

magoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    Grantsburg, WI
    Maybe just make a few batches of peanut butter cookies! That usually uses alot of PB. Not sure if it would be good for the chickens.

5. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    Quote:You could send them to me....

6. ams4776

I got 8 jars...4 being extra large to use up. Ive done cookies and many other recipies. Was thinking the protien might be good for them. Was unsure so i asked
    Ohh if you want cookies you can have some [​IMG] also make a yummy peanut butter crumble apple dessert

7. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Quote:Worst. Sandwich. Ever.

8. Truevalentine

Truevalentine Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    well... My girls eat the left over pb&j's that the dck's leave behind without a problem... never just given them a glob of it though.

9. MeowCluckBark

MeowCluckBark Chicken Lickin' Good

Mar 28, 2011
    Boise, ID
    I wouldn't give them much if it's the sugary processed junk. We eat just plain old peanut butter, no added nuffin' in it. I don't like it better. I like the sugar better. But I do like to lose weight and not get fatter than I already am LOL

10. NurseELB

NurseELB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    Our girls go NUTS for peanut butter! DH uses it to bait the rat traps under the house. He brings it out of the house on a plastic spoon, and heaven forbid he set it down- they'll grab the spoon and run off with it! Seeing them play chase with that spoon trying to get to the peanut butter first is almost worth bringing out 2 spoons! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by