Peanut Butter

UrbanChick101

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 9, 2010
Eastern Iowa
I searched and didn't come up with anything. Has anybody fed peanut butter to thier chickens... you know your kids left over sandwiches (the crusty part) Just wondering if its safe for my girls. Thanks!!
big_smile.png

Years ago a friends Mom lost her favorite parakeet by feeding peanut butter
Seems as the little guy choked to death on it. She never forgave herself.

So glad I was hesitant... don't wanna kill our new little chickens!! I think my kids and myself would feel terrible if that happened... no peanut butter, nobody needs to be choking!!

My girls got a leftover peanut butter and banana sandwich the other day.
big_smile.png
My son wanted one so bad in his lunch - and then didn't eat it.
hmm.png
I hate to see goo food go to waste, so I gave it to my little garbage disposals. They weren't sure at first, and I didn't stick around to watch, but it was gone within the hour.

Come on.
They eat their own poop. And rocks. And swallow masses of cucumber sed scrapings as big as their own heads!
I doubt a little peanut butter on bread will cause any harm at all.
And choking to death on peanut butter? Surely that was a neurologically disabled animal to begin with.
It might be sticky in the mouth but any critter with a normal brain is normally able to self regulate it's food intake to avoid choking on different textures of food.

Peanut butter is really thick and sticky. Birds don't produce the large amount of saliva that we do. Their tongues also aren't as muscular and flexible as ours are. I wouldn't give them big gobs of peanut butter, plain. I wouldn't worry about something like a peanut butter sandwich, though. If you had a jar of peanut butter you wanted to feed to them, I'd just mix it into something else.

My kindergartener takes a peanut butter sandwich to school every and brings the crusts/leftovers home for the chickens. We just tear it into little pieces and toss it out and they go crazy over it.

Back
Top Bottom