Peanut Butter

mrcush

Songster
7 Years
Nov 18, 2012
Southeast Michigan
I have made my own suet cakes with peanut butter and bird seed for years now. I would guess from my research that it would be ok for chicken treats but can anybody verify that this would be ok? Thanks

I'm definitely not a chicken expert, but I would venture to guess that if you've been doing it that way, with peanut butter, for years now, and haven't seen any derogatory/negative outcomes for your chickens - it's probably safe.
smile.png

I guess I didn't explain correctly :) I have been doing this for years for the woodpeckers and birds in my yard. I was wondering if it would be ok for chickens. I'm new to the BYC community and just got my first chickens a few months ago.

It would be okay in regard to the peanut butter yes...peanut butter is a-okay for chickens. But - instead of wild birdseed I would go with chicken-centered ingredients with the peanut butter. You'd also probably win a lot of kudos and hand-clapping if you shared the recipe.
wee.gif
gig.gif

The recipe is basically melt down peanut butter in microwave or on the stove and add bird seed to it. Let cool and roll in wax paper... freeze! Anybody got any ideas of some other things that could be added specifically for chickens?

The recipe is basically melt down peanut butter in microwave or on the stove and add bird seed to it. Let cool and roll in wax paper... freeze! Anybody got any ideas of some other things that could be added specifically for chickens?

What a great idea! i'd be inclined to mix scratch, BOSS(black oil sunflower seeds) and even their feed ...

Back
Top Bottom