peanut oil

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Katy, May 15, 2009.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Does anyone know how long peanut oil stays good? I have a recipe that I use it in once in a while. It still smells good, not rancid so it's surely ok to use isn't it?

2. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

All oils have 3 enemies:

Heat
    Light
    Air

Store oil in a cool dark place. Excessive air in a bottle of oil will speed rancidity. Buying oils in bulk only works if you will use that quantity in a reasonable time.

Peanut oil is great for frying as it has a high smoke point. Also peanut oil is great in salad dressings.

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

if it still smells good and tastes fresh (just pour a few drops into a spoon and taste it) it should be fine.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I haven't tasted it, but it smells ok. I don't use it that often and I buy the smallest bottle I can find.

5. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Peanut oil should be one of the most used oils in the home. Why it takes the heat of cooking much better than any other. We cook in cast iron and it is the only oil I will use. Compare to all other oils it can handle a much higher temp and lasts longer so you do not need to add so much. Ofcourse if you have allergies to peanuts you should not use it. After reading about how bad canola oil was I stopped using it and I do not use any soy oil at all. If I use any other oil it is olive, safflower or sunflower. The last two do not have a long shelf life like peanut. I would say go ahead and use it as peanut has a pretty long shelf life if store right.

6. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I store mine in the fridge because I don't use it often. That keeps it pretty stable, the only trick with that is that it needs to be "melted" at room temperature before it can be used.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by