Peanuts - in shells salted & roasted

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mommysongbird, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Yes or No for the chickens??

Only the shells are salted, so I thought I would de-shell them and give to our girls, is that okay??

I buy the large bags at Sam's club and my hubby and son are not eating this bag as quickly as usual and I would love to get rid of them.

We only have 4 pullets, so how many peanuts at a time (if they can have these)?? Just scatter through the run or mix in with feed??

2. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Anyone???

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Only the shells are salted?

Chickens love peanuts. I utilize 2 different feeds from 2 different meals. One of those feeds is peanut based: great feed.
    You do have to watch the salt intake on a chicken because they don't sweat. To much salt can be a very bad thing; a few nuts (what's a few?) shouldn't hurt.

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    NO SALT it will cause issues. I would also crush the nuts up because nuts in general need to be broken down to digest so crush them and feed out of your hand as a treat. As far as how much, I give a treat and it is only as much as they will eat in 1 setting. Do not put more or it is a food and that's not what a treat is all about. It is not really a balanced meal type of food. It is all protein for sure. I am sure others will chime in here too.

5. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:Yes, ONLY THE SHELLS are Salted. My hubby says the peanuts themselves are NOT salted.

6. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Peanut meal is used in some chicken feeds. If a chickadee can handle a peanut, I would think a chicken could without it being crushed.

7. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Quote:There are plenty of uncrushed peanuts in peanut based chicken feed; you are correct.

Most folks are unfamiliar with peanut-based feeds because they tend to be made in peanut growing areas and made at local mills.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by